PG Music Home
Posted By: Bernier Headphones - 09/05/21 12:32 PM
What are the best headphones for under $150? I want a corded one because cordless has too much lag. I’ve got a nice JBL set that is corded or cordless. I use it corded but since day one the jack into the headset shorts out on occasion. I’d like to get a headset with 1/4” plug.
Thanks!
Bernie
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Headphones - 09/05/21 04:11 PM
Bernier,

Do you want headphones for all around use, recording or mixing? Each use has a different set of priorities.

Generally speaking for recording you want as much sound isolation as possible so the sound of the headphones does not bleed through and get into the recording. For mixing the highest priority is a flat frequency response with all day comfort a close second.

+++ This +++ search is sorted from low to high price to give you an idea of what's available at different price levels.
Posted By: rharv Re: Headphones - 09/06/21 04:54 PM
I like ATH-M40x now
Used to be AKG-240's but things change

I hear a lot about Sennheisers, but never actually heard a set that impressed me enough to change.
.. this could be fun seeing what others prefer/use

/the old ATH-M40fs were my go-to for a long time, but no longer available

Quote:
since day one the jack into the headset shorts out on occasion.

I'm not sure new headphones will fix that issue, maybe it's the jack itself (?)
If not, maybe the cable is bad
Do other headphones work fine in the same jack?
Posted By: Bernier Re: Headphones - 09/06/21 07:40 PM
Other headphones work fine. There is an issue with JBL headphone cables and where they plug into the headphones.
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Headphones - 09/07/21 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: rharv
I like ATH-M40x now
Used to be AKG-240's but things change

I hear a lot about Sennheisers, but never actually heard a set that impressed me enough to change.
.. this could be fun seeing what others prefer/use

/the old ATH-M40fs were my go-to for a long time, but no longer available

Quote:
since day one the jack into the headset shorts out on occasion.

I'm not sure new headphones will fix that issue, maybe it's the jack itself (?)
If not, maybe the cable is bad
Do other headphones work fine in the same jack?

M40X's are very nice. I have a pair of M50X's that I bought before the M40X came out - not a huge difference in sound, but the 50's I find a bit comfier. Both are worth the money.

Otherwise, AKG 240's are great, as are many Sennheisers in that price range. Surprisingly good were some of the KRK and Mackie headphones at the lower end of that price range. Your best bet is to see if you can try a few out in a store, then choose the ones you find comfiest that don't compromise too much on sound.
Posted By: rharv Re: Headphones - 09/07/21 09:41 PM
I went to an audio conference in Chicago a few years ago (AXPONA), when we still could.
ATH was there with a display and I asked the rep about the ATH_M40fs being revived, and he said he has a lot of people asking but not likely due to some technical manufacturing issue .. so the M40X was about as close as I could get.
For me the M50's had a bit more bass boost, and for mixing/editing, knowing me as well as I do, I'd end up with not enough bass due to mixing to the M50's.

So I stayed with more of what I am familiar/comfortable with.
I actually did a straight up trade of my M50's for another forum member's M40's so I had an extra pair .. we were both happy so win/win!
Posted By: Ember - PG Music Re: Headphones - 09/15/21 03:40 PM
Hey there! It looks like you posted in the PowerTracks area of our forum perhaps by mistake. I've gone ahead and notified the moderators to move your thread for you, but in the future, you may get more hits and feedback on such queries by using our "Help! Tech S.O.S (Off topic)" subforum instead. It's an area for discussing anything computer or music equipment related, so the people who frequent that area will already be looking out for things like this:

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=93&page=1

We hope this helps!
© PG Music Forums