PG Music Home
Posted By: 90 dB USB HUB - 02/11/22 04:25 PM
My monitor died on my studio desktop, so I have to use my laptop. The laptop doesn't have enough USB ports, so I need to get a USB hub. Any recommendations?

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: USB HUB - 02/11/22 04:50 PM
I have three of the Ankar 7 port USB hubs on our computers:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-Adapter-Charging-iPhone/dp/B014ZQ07NE

They have worked perfectly for a good number of years now.

Regardless of what brand you get just be sure to get a hub with its own power supply. Those USB hubs that get its power from the computer may not have enough power to run your peripherals.
Posted By: Bob Calver Re: USB HUB - 02/11/22 04:52 PM
i bought a very cheap powered one years ago and it works fine. they're not complicated bits of kit. however, you might need to check if it's USB 2 or 3 although i imagine USB 2 will be fast enough for most purposes although i note that PG music usb drives are USB 3.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: USB HUB - 02/11/22 10:28 PM
I have 3 of them (on 3 computers, not daisy chained) and I run them passive. There ARE active ones but I have never been in a position where I put too much of a power requirement on a hub. So I wonder now, Bob, will your run passive? Will it run at all, just not power everything at once? How many ports? (Mine passive ones run 7.) That's the kind of geek things I think about.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 01:22 AM
Some laptop USB ports may not be able to supply sufficient power to a passive hub. The Power Supply in a laptop provides far less power than the desktop equivalent. There are USB Hubs that run both passive and can have a 5 volt adapter connected to the hub as well. Might be an option to consider.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 10:16 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
I have three of the Ankar 7 port USB hubs on our computers:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-7-Port-Adapter-Charging-iPhone/dp/B014ZQ07NE

They have worked perfectly for a good number of years now.

Regardless of what brand you get just be sure to get a hub with its own power supply. Those USB hubs that get its power from the computer may not have enough power to run your peripherals.

I have similar product as Mario. I use them for all my peripherals, and they work great. Never had an issue with them, USB 3.0 and powered with their own power supply.
Amazon Apanage USB
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 10:23 AM
I've got the same one as Mario. It works fine.

Notes ♫
Posted By: Joseph Land Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 11:18 AM
I have been thinking of getting one of these for a few weeks now but I do have a question that someone might be able to answer.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and I have the dongle in a single USB hub on the desktop so it is closer to the devices.

On these hubs you guys mentioned, if I put the mouse/keyboard dongle in one of the ports and a couple of flash drives in the others, will everything work properly?

Thanks.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 12:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for your valuable input. I will get a powered hub for the laptop.

But I have another question. Can a newer monitor just die? It's an ASUS, and wasn't cheap or refurbished. I tried another power cord, but nothing. It should still power up just with the power supplied, right? Does it also need input from the computer?

All the peripherals fired up; the Focusrite interface, keyboard, mouse, etc. But nothing at all on the monitor. Please forgive my ignorance. I am grateful to have the BIAB Brain Trust to ask these inane questions.

Regards,

Bob
Posted By: floyd jane Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

But I have another question. Can a newer monitor just die? It's an ASUS, and wasn't cheap or refurbished. I tried another power cord, but nothing. It should still power up just with the power supplied, right? Does it also need input from the computer?

Yes, the monitor should show power with just the power cord. (they typically have an "on light" of some kind)
It is not unusual for monitors to quit working (go bad).
I have a bad monitor (from my father-in-law's computer) sitting in the garage at the moment.
Had a spare sitting around that I gave him.

That is all it was. If I had another, I'd give it to ya...
One of my neighbors had one go bad recently, too (came and asked me to check it)
Ask someone to borrow one just to check (a quick check).
You might be able to find a used one on craigslist for cheap (look in the "free" section, too)
Posted By: MarioD Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: jcland
I have been thinking of getting one of these for a few weeks now but I do have a question that someone might be able to answer.

I have a Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard and I have the dongle in a single USB hub on the desktop so it is closer to the devices.

On these hubs you guys mentioned, if I put the mouse/keyboard dongle in one of the ports and a couple of flash drives in the others, will everything work properly?

Thanks.

Yes if the hub has its own power supply.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: USB HUB - 02/12/22 05:04 PM
This is the one I'm running. I wanted the plugs to go in sideways and not standup so everything lays flat. I've got wireless LogiTech modules attached for the mouse and keyboard, and MOTU MIDI interface attached. BUT my system will not run my Focusrite interface attached to the hub. That must be mainlined into the computer directly.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-USB...C92&sr=1-27

Jeff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: USB HUB - 02/13/22 04:24 AM
Originally Posted By: 90 dB

Every monitor I've seen will at least present some form of on-screen logo or similar, and then go blank if there is no video input is recognized. As others have mentioned there should also be some form of power-on LED indicator.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: USB HUB - 02/13/22 06:53 AM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Originally Posted By: jcland

Yes if the hub has its own power supply.

A good, sound statement.

FWIW, if that's just a PC-keyboard, mouse and two flash sticks, it will likely work fine even without a power supply for the hub. If either flash drive is a larger device with a cable you'll almost certainly need a power supply on the hub. I think all 7-port plus hubs will have a power supply. 4-port hubs very likly will not.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: USB HUB - 02/13/22 10:55 AM
I did some work in the electronics industry and learned that many parts that fail may fail quickly. They made, among other things, amplifiers for Cable TV systems.

When in the field, they would be hanging on telephone poles or in less than easy to get to lockers on the ground, and a PITA and service outage to replace.

They used to 'bake' everything before it went out in the real world. Turn them on for a few days, figuring if they made it that long, they would make it for years unless abused.

It was all high-end gear, too.

So if your new monitor doesn't work, the warranty should cover it.

If you have another computer to test it on, it would verify that it's the monitor and not something in the computer.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: etcjoe Re: USB HUB - 02/13/22 11:01 AM
Originally Posted By: MountainSide
This is the one I'm running. I wanted the plugs to go in sideways and not standup so everything lays flat. I've got wireless LogiTech modules attached for the mouse and keyboard, and MOTU MIDI interface attached. BUT my system will not run my Focusrite interface attached to the hub. That must be mainlined into the computer directly.

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Port-USB...C92&sr=1-27

Jeff

Yes, some music equipment requires direct connections, and they usually specify this when you read the specs. Everything I have works from the hub. Just need to read your information on what you own.
Posted By: etcjoe Re: USB HUB - 02/13/22 11:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I did some work in the electronics industry and learned that many parts that fail may fail quickly. They made, among other things, amplifiers for Cable TV systems.

When in the field, they would be hanging on telephone poles or in less than easy to get to lockers on the ground, and a PITA and service outage to replace.

They used to 'bake' everything before it went out in the real world. Turn them on for a few days, figuring if they made it that long, they would make it for years unless abused.

It was all high-end gear, too.

So if your new monitor doesn't work, the warranty should cover it.

If you have another computer to test it on, it would verify that it's the monitor and not something in the computer.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Infant mortality we call it in my line of work. We practice the burn in method as well. Relays, switches etc., get powered up and sit on the bench loaded for a specified period prior to installation. It rarely happens, but it does happen. Sometimes things just quit working.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: USB HUB - 02/15/22 06:22 PM
To update; the new monitor is hooked up and working, and the USB Hub is on order.

Thanks to everyone for your valuable input and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Now all I have to do is write some music. grin

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums