PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/21/22 03:32 PM
The emphasis is on FREE!
Posted By: sslechta Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/21/22 04:08 PM
I've used this one for years.

Adblock Plus
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/21/22 06:34 PM
I use a hosts blacklist, which seems pretty good at stopping irritating ads and also some otherwise badly behaves sites.

They work by locally to you forcing IP addresses of such ad servers to 0.0.0.0.

This is a common trick on Linux, but Windows also has a hosts file here (on Win8 ... I think it's the same on other Windows):
C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts

Google will find several host blacklists.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/21/22 07:01 PM
AdBlockPlus is my go-to also. It is free.
Occasionally they ask for a donation and I'm always happy to provide, but it's not compulsory.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/21/22 09:06 PM
AdBlock Plus here.
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/22/22 01:38 AM
Firefox has a number of add-ons available including Privacy Badger

https://privacybadger.org/
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/22/22 02:22 PM
Thanks, friends.

I went with Adblocker Plus

Apparently, a recent MS update conflicted with it and it quit working.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/23/22 02:38 AM
Donny,
Which web browser do you use?
I use Firefox and it works fine with Adblock Plus.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/23/22 09:33 AM
Originally Posted By: AudioTrack
Donny,
Which web browser do you use?
I use Firefox and it works fine with Adblock Plus.

Same here Donny.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/23/22 09:59 AM
Chrome here, and it works fine with Adblock Plus
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 05/24/22 08:13 PM
Same here with Firefox as well. The only issue is when you're going to many legit news and other major sites, they won't let you enter the site without turning it off or agreeing to $ubscribe to the site. I've probably had to turn off Adblocker on easily 60-70% of the sites I visit. They have to make money somehow or they'll go out of business. I've found it's the least painful to just let the ads run on those sites.

Bob
Posted By: jjthomas Re: Please recommend a FREE Ad Blocker - 09/18/22 05:55 AM
Former Ad-Blocker user here. I ended up switching to uBlock Origin. Both are very good. The problem with editing the hosts file on Windows is it somehow it keeps getting changed back to its default. Also editing it will give one a false virus warning. I just leave it alone.
© PG Music Forums