PG Music Home
Posted By: ffreniere Reinstall: can't save songs to PC - 06/30/22 10:40 AM
Dear all -

I recently had to replace the hard drive on my 2017 Dell Inspiron laptop, during which several apps were removed including BIAB 2016, running on Windows 10.

So I plugged in the external BIAB drive, ran Disc 1 & ran all the prompts to install the software. The BIAB icon popped up on the desktop. But when I clicked it, I got all sorts of weird error codes, "dividing by 0," etc.

So I went into the BIAB folder and opened it there. RealTracks linked properly to the external drive & I composed a song. But I can't save it to the computer as a .WAV or .mp3 . And I can't save it on the external drive either (BTW what's a SGU file & should I be saving that as well as .mp4?)

It also appears I've lost the ability to load up all the BIAB songs into the program I had on the old hard drive so I can't edit them anymore; I will have to rebuild them from scratch!

Very frustrated, very confused, not very tech-savvy. Would appreciate some help to at least be able to save new creations to my PC going forward, even if I've lost my library. Thanks.
Hi,

Quote:
But I can't save it to the computer as a .WAV or .mp3 . And I can't save it on the external drive either (BTW what's a SGU file & should I be saving that as well as .mp4?)

.SGU is just a regular Band-in-a-Box song file. You need to save your songs as .SGU by going to File | Save, then you can open them later via File | Open. When you are finished creating a song (entering chords etc.), you might then choose to render/export your song as a .wav audio file or compressed audio file like .mp4 for whatever reason (maybe to upload to a website, import to a other software, etc.) This file cannot be opened back up into Band-in-a-Box to continue to edit. Well, you *could* import the .wav file to the audio track but that's different. You need to still open the .SGU (or .MGU) file to be able to edit the chord symbols, change the style, add RealTracks, etc.

You should install the latest update patch for your version - find it here:
https://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm
For example, for 2017 it's build 471.

If you are still having problems, choose one thing that doesn't seem to be working, and describe specifically what happens when you do it.
Originally Posted By: ffreniere
Dear all -

I recently had to replace the hard drive on my 2017 Dell Inspiron laptop, during which several apps were removed including BIAB 2016, running on Windows 10.

So I plugged in the external BIAB drive, ran Disc 1 & ran all the prompts to install the software. The BIAB icon popped up on the desktop. But when I clicked it, I got all sorts of weird error codes, "dividing by 0," etc.

So I went into the BIAB folder and opened it there. RealTracks linked properly to the external drive & I composed a song. But I can't save it to the computer as a .WAV or .mp3 . And I can't save it on the external drive either (BTW what's a SGU file & should I be saving that as well as .mp4?)

It also appears I've lost the ability to load up all the BIAB songs into the program I had on the old hard drive so I can't edit them anymore; I will have to rebuild them from scratch!

Very frustrated, very confused, not very tech-savvy. Would appreciate some help to at least be able to save new creations to my PC going forward, even if I've lost my library. Thanks.

When you try to render your songs from the program as .WAV or .MP3, do you get any error messages at all that pop up? I see above you mentioned the "dividing by 0" error, but any in particular when trying to render to an audio file format?

Also, when you say your old BIAB files aren't loading, are you going to File | Open to open them, or double clicking on them outside of the program to try and open them? If that latter, it could be a file association with the new program that needs to be set up.
© PG Music Forums