PG Music Home
I did this cover of "Listen to the music" sometime back and have posted it on YouTube and linked to this forum mainly as a demonstration that guitar and other instrumental riffs can accurately and authentically be replicated using techniques and features available in the BIAB program such as midi and audio recording. Enjoy.

LISTEN TO THE MUSIC - DOOBIE BROTHERS 1972
Very impressive Charlie, thanks.

Can you advise what tracks / style was used?
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

I didn't think I would be able to find anything because when I did this project was prior to the loosening of restrictions for covers and we could post songs from YouTube. I don't normally preserve a project that I will likely never have reason to use again. But I found the original seq and sgu files on a backup drive. That's some good luck.

I originally did this project 11/15/2014 and the style I started with was _M16SPNO.STY. Worship Pop w/ Piano.
That is the date that Windows Explorer show all the associated files being last modified including the original sgu file but I would not have guessed it was that long ago. But that is the best date I have anything documented for.

I played the seq file and it is the same as what is posted.

Here is the memo from the seq file:

****** Song Summary *************
Title: Listen To The Music
File:Listen To The Music.SGU
Key=D , Tempo 106, Length (m:s)=3:46
No intro. 98 bar chorus, from bar 1 to bar 98. Repeat x1 chorus
No Melody
No Soloist track.
Song is saved with Volume, Pan, Reverb, Chorus, Bank0,
Style is _M16SPNO.STY (Med.Pop 16ths with Piano [110RS])

RealTracks in style: 1174:Bass, Electric, PopClypso Ev 100
RealTracks in style: 1689:B3 Organ Background Ev 085
RealTracks in style: 1606:Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Pop16ths Ev16 110
RealTracks in style: 1608:Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16ths Ev16 110
RealDrums in style: NashvilleEven16^5-a:Snare, HiHat , b:Snare, Ride

There is an additional audio track of the guitar riff.
What a great cover, Charlie. That's one of my favorite Doobie Brothers songs and one I had been wanting to tackle. I'll take a look at that style.
Nice job, Charlie!

I can hear the vocal in my head as I'm listening to your track. Rhythm guitar in particular is perfect.
Charlie,

That is really nicely done.
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack

Originally Posted By: jford
What a great cover, Charlie. That's one of my favorite Doobie Brothers songs and one I had been wanting to tackle. I'll take a look at that style.

Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
Nice job, Charlie!

I can hear the vocal in my head as I'm listening to your track. Rhythm guitar in particular is perfect.

Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Charlie,

That is really nicely done.

Thanks for listening and taking time to comment. I appreciate it.

Charlie
You nailed it Charlie! This is a personal favourite of mine by the Doobie Brothers, and you seriously did it some justice here smile
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
You nailed it Charlie! This is a personal favourite of mine by the Doobie Brothers, and you seriously did it some justice here smile

Thanks for the kind comments Deryk. This one has always been a personal favorite of mine too.
nice job Charlie! Especially thanks for posting the tracks used!
Did you play any of that yourself? (Your original post said something about audio recording...)

And you mention something about restrictions being lifted regarding the posting of cover songs... I must have missed that... is it true that we can post covers here now?
Good morning Pat.

I did this project for a friend's personal use several years ago and all of the tracks are BIAB real tracks except for the pre-recorded signature rhythm riff made available to me that was recorded by a guitarist that could play it in a more professional sound that I could.

Regarding restrictions, they have not changed for here on the BIAB forum but what is now allowed are postings in this thread of covers that are on YouTube. The short answer is yes, if the cover is on YouTube and was done with the use of BIAB.

I uploaded this project to YouTube and posted the link here and linked to this post in another thread here on the forum as a reference during a discussion that accurate covers could not be achieved using BIAB.
GREAT work!

That song takes me back to another time, another place, another mindset, and people & friends I'll never see again.

Larry
Thanks Larry for taking time to listen.

Charlie
Thanks man. Great sound and great cover.

BTW, I immediately found this file and saved it to desktop as let me see...

DOOBIE BROTHERS

New song coming!!!

Man, one thing that has always bothered me. I have been trying to figure out what the Doobie in Doobie brothers was referring to for decades.

I wonder if I will ever know? Is it just one of those things that must forever remain a mystery?????
Quote:
Man, one thing that has always bothered me. I have been trying to figure out what the Doobie in Doobie brothers was referring to for decades.

Yeah, and they're not even brothers. What's with that? smile
Originally Posted By: David Snyder
Thanks man. Great sound and great cover.

BTW, I immediately found this file and saved it to desktop as let me see...

DOOBIE BROTHERS

New song coming!!!

I wonder if I will ever know? Is it just one of those things that must forever remain a mystery?????

Thanks for listening and I'm guessing your 'new song coming' may take a poke answering to what the 'Doobie' in Doobie Brothers means?? ;=0
Good job Charlie but bump up the drums. Note the key here is finding someone to play the signature lick. That's always the problem with trying to create good covers in Biab.

A Doobie is/was a joint. A joint is what's now legal in 9 states for folks who may not know. At the time the name Doobie Brothers was quite the flower power/counter culture/antiwar joke...

Bob
I was going to post a YT link to a good backing track just to use as a comparison. I found many different ones then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_YmaI6qSQ

This is amazing. Who is this guy who posted this? It really sounds like he has access to the original studio tracks especially when the vocals comes in. If he someway somehow created this himself, how the heck did he do it? Where did he get those clean vocals?

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
I was going to post a YT link to a good backing track just to use as a comparison. I found many different ones then I found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF_YmaI6qSQ

This is amazing. Who is this guy who posted this? It really sounds like he has access to the original studio tracks especially when the vocals comes in. If he someway somehow created this himself, how the heck did he do it? Where did he get those clean vocals?

Bob

There's a fellow named Terry Jackson that claims to have access to the original studio tracks for this song and many others.

Listen to the Music original studio tracks posted by Terry Jackson
The multi-tracks may be a by product of guitar video games like Guitar Hero or Rocksmith. Many familiar songs were remixed in multi-track format so gamers could play their favorite instrument on their game controller.

There is also a +++ Wikipedia Article +++ that lists some albums and songs that have been released as stems.
Wow, I had no idea. With all this available plus regular backing tracks people post on YT, why bother busting your head using Biab for that? Yeah I know, sometimes you can't find some songs you really want.

Bob
Originally Posted By: jazzmammal
Wow, I had no idea. With all this available plus regular backing tracks people post on YT, why bother busting your head using Biab for that? Yeah I know, sometimes you can't find some songs you really want.

Bob

High quality, accurate covers are just that,covers, once they're rendered. That's the point that the value and power of BIAB shines through. The cover is what it is and is stuck in time and space. The tempo, structure, chord progression and the instruments are all set. It leaves no room for any of you in the song except for vocals or instrumental melody and maybe some acoustic rhythm guitar. BIAB is just getting started with all you can do with it beyond just rendering a song in it's original key and replicating all the instruments played in the song. I agree if all one is interested in is having covers to perform, it may be more cost effective to purchase Karaoke rather than BIAB but for anything more, BIAB is the way to go.

Very true, one of the best things about Biab is the ability to play any song you want in as many different styles as you want. We've all come up with some very interesting versions of tunes that way. I even have a folder of favorites done in 4 or 5 completely different styles like jazz swing, hip hop, motown, southern rock, etc. I think I have 8 versions of Comin Home for example.

As for my question regarding that multitrack vid, I posted that on the Keyboard Corner and several guys responded in detail. You guys are correct those tracks came from Guitar Hero and the original files are MOGG files meaning Multitrack OGG. Apparently there are many sites with those. OGG Vorbis files have been around for years, here's a link that explains it:

https://www.lifewire.com/mogg-file-2622002

Audacity can convert those to whatever new file type you want and maybe RB can too.

Bob

Sorry guess I was late and wrong, LOL

I think it is Denver Acoustic Rock, may be wrong though.

Later,
© PG Music Forums