PG Music Home
Posted By: axe4sax Notation input - creating melodies - 02/07/23 02:51 PM
I've been using iReal Pro for backing tracks to practice to. It’s a great quick fix but now I would like more realistic sounds and be able to input a melody line or a practice pattern/motif over a chord eg. Enclosure pattern around the 5th of a chord etc.

I have a few questions:
- Is the notation function easy to use, I assume you can input rests.
- Could a melody created in muscore be imported - I guess via midi?
- Would the notation in a bar (or bars) remain if copy/pasted elsewhere in the tune?

I am not entirely new to biab - the last version I had had to be installed via about 15 3.5in Floppy disks!
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Notation input - creating melodies - 02/07/23 05:29 PM
Originally Posted By: axe4sax

I have a few questions:
- Is the notation function easy to use, I assume you can input rests.
- Would the notation in a bar (or bars) remain if copy/pasted elsewhere in the tune?

I am not entirely new to biab - the last version I had had to be installed via about 15 3.5in Floppy disks!

Welcome back!

- Notation is handled in a unique way but is straightforward and quite versatile. Yes, you can insert rests.

- BiaB supports MIDI and also MusicXML as an import method.

- There are several methods to copy/paste notes, perhaps the easiest is the Piano Roll editor.
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Notation input - creating melodies - 02/07/23 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: axe4sax

Yes it can. That's how I usually work, but transfer via MusicXML is usually(!) a better route that MIDI.
Posted By: axe4sax Re: Notation input - creating melodies - 02/08/23 07:52 AM
Cheers
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Notation input - creating melodies - 02/08/23 01:58 PM
A bit more.

I've used most of the notation programs on the market, and I prefer to write notation initially in BIAB, even if it is going to be exported to another program.

Importing has been answered.

Yes, you can copy either the chord progression to another section of a song, or a melody.
Posted By: axe4sax Re: Notation input - creating melodies - 02/08/23 02:32 PM
Thanks Matt
© PG Music Forums