PG Music Home
The default that I have always used in the past is CoyoteWT which seems to work well.

I thought I might try to other two offerings:

KV331 Synthmaster 2 Player: just gives me hugely distorted sounds
Plogue sforzando: plays but does not sound good to me

What should I be looking at to improve my results?

Tony
BiaB comes with VSTSynthFont, though rather oddly it's tucked away. There are instructions in the manual. Many people like the TTS-1 that comes with the free Cakewalk DAW. Some people get on OK with Sforzando, others dislike it. I found it a bit temperamental and switched back to VSTSynthFont64

There are many alternative soundfonts available. I personally like Compifont, Timbres of Heaven and the JJazLab soundfont. A web search will find them.

The default soundfont on BiaB is GM.DLS, which is rather coarse by modern standards.
Gigaday.

is this biab or realband (rb) ??

32 bit or 64 bit versions ?

the new kv synthmaster works great here.
groovy modern sounds.

if your useing 32 bit biab try 64 bit version.

if that dont work...detail your settings.

sforzando works great here too.

best

om
Gordon, thanks for your help. I found VSTSynthFont (as you say tucked away) and have made some progress with the others. You got me started - thanks.

Tony
justanoldmuso, thanks for your help. I have overcome the latest learning curve with advice from other poster. - Tony
Originally Posted By: gigaday
Gordon, thanks for your help. I found VSTSynthFont (as you say tucked away) and have made some progress with the others. You got me started - thanks.

Tony

Tony, there a a ton of soundfonts available on the web, some free some for purchase. I used to use soundfonts a lot. I would suggest you also get a soundfont editor like this one:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/Viena.shtml

That is the one I used to use to create my own set of soundfonts by taking sounds from one set and merging them with other sounds from other sets. Thus you could create an orchestra soundfont, or a big band soundfont. The orchestra one could contain a number of different violin, cellos, etc, each with its own articulation. Same with any other soundfont creation.

If you want the best MIDI sounds then you would need either Kontakt or Sampletank. But neither of those are GM so you would have to assign each track to a sound. This course of action would be after you work with soundfonts but I thought that I should mention it.
Thanks, MarioD - I'll look into all of that - Tony
© PG Music Forums