PG Music Home
Posted By: WaoBand Crediting BB Musicians [Resolved] - 05/13/23 02:43 PM
This is my first post here and first time on the forum, so a quick intro: I'm 72, played drums in 3 band in my teens, but learned guitar as I was most interested in song-writing and I've written oodles. I bought BB in 2021 mainly to see what I could do with a couple of my favourite songs from years ago - mainly I just wanted to create rhythm tracks - but then I did nothing else with it until earlier this year. Long story short, I began creating videos using my own graphics for posting on YouTube, then not being able to find Creative Commons music to use as soundtracks I began using BB to create my own. At this point I suspect I understand at most 5% of what I can do with BB, possibly only 1% - as I've been using a graphics program for artwork for a decade and although I get brilliant results I think I only understand 10% of that! - but suddenly as I'm good at composing and arranging instruments I'm getting such excellent results most people would have no idea that it's not an actual band playing, thus it just doesn't feel right that I can't credit the musicians! Or to put it another way, although I produce original compositions and so am rightly credited as the composer, I feel a bit like a cheat saying "this is my work"! Thus:

How can I find out who plays which instruments in various styles - I now mix and match all over the place - as I really want to give credit where credit is due?
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 03:41 PM
Totally unnecessary as those recordings are part of a work for hire agreement. PG music owns them, gives you license to use them as you please and, if I remember correctly, requests that you don't.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 03:52 PM
Thanks very much for that reply! But can someone please confirm that PG Music requests that one shouldn't credit the musicians?
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 04:15 PM
I do not work for PG Music but I can confirm that Byron’s advice is correct. Perhaps a staffer will do so here as well, but that’s not a given.

As I recall, it is ok, and a nice gesture, to give credit to PG Music for some of the sounds in your recording, but not to the for-hire players whose actual performance is being chopped into pieces and reassembled for you.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 04:37 PM
Thanks Matt! My guess is that it's either a legal matter (musicians maybe sign away their rights?) and/or the musicians themselves don't want to be associated with crap use of their work! But at the same time I'm getting such good results through mixing and matching - as said, most people would automatically assume a real band had recorded the piece - that it seems a shame not to give credit were it's truly due. Where I've posted videos on YT with my BB compositions as soundtracks I always cite them as "(BIAB version)" adter the instrumentals' titles. I do that in both End Title images and also in the posts' blurbs.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 04:50 PM
There is a post from Peter Gannon, the 'PG' in PG Music, specifically about this. Perhaps we can find it.
Posted By: Byron Dickens Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 05:03 PM
Session musicians are not typically credited anyway.

It is not a matter of the musicians "signing away their rights." It is a matter of work for hire.
Posted By: WaoBand Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 05:25 PM
Thanks very much for your replies, Byron and Matt! I just found this old thread which pretty much covers it all:
https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=10292
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Crediting BB Musicians - 05/13/23 09:23 PM
Here's one of Peter Gannon's post about crediting the Realtrack performers.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=186749#Post186749
© PG Music Forums