PG Music Home
Posted By: M Max piano fills drop out - 05/28/23 02:27 AM
Hello. I've been struggling with trying to maintain the piano fills that I get in the 1st chorus throughout the rest of the song. They always drop out after the 1st chorus. The style of the song is set to: ACBALLAD Acoustic -unplugged. Thanks.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: piano fills drop out - 05/28/23 02:36 AM
Originally Posted By: M Max
Hello. I've been struggling with trying to maintain the piano fills that I get in the 1st chorus throughout the rest of the song. They always drop out after the 1st chorus. The style of the song is set to: ACBALLAD Acoustic -unplugged. Thanks.

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

The style you mentioned doesn't seem to have a Piano instrument associated with it. It is an All MIDI Style.

Did you add / change any instruments?

Attached picture 2023-05-28_15-34-10.jpg
Posted By: M Max Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 01:16 AM
Thanks AudioTrack.

Yes, I am actually using a VST and it originally had a guitar as the instrument doing fills. Using the VST I swapped in a piano for that guitar voice.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 01:50 AM
You could try disabling this setting in the Song Settings options (Control-N):

Attached picture 2023-05-29_14-48-48.jpg
Posted By: M Max Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 02:12 AM
Thanks again, but I've been there and done that. Really perplexing.
Posted By: M Max Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 02:17 PM
This will seem very strange, but the piano fills (actually midi guitar fills changed by VST to piano) are not completely dropping out, but only 99.98% dropping out. What I am getting is an isolated note here or there from the piano. I am totally mystified. Perhaps that clue might help somebody figure this out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 03:19 PM
This will seem very strange, but the piano fills (actually midi guitar fills changed by VST to piano) are not completely dropping out, but only 99.98% dropping out. What I am getting is an isolated note here or there from the piano. I am totally mystified. Perhaps that clue might help somebody figure this out.

In the piano roll view check for velocities. If the piano is using velocity for volume that could be the cause, I.e. very low velocities.

If that isn't the case using the MIDI editor check for volume changes. That would be CCs 2, 7, or 11.

What piano VST are you using? Some electric pianos do have have all 88 keys so if the note is off the EP range then you will hear nothing. If you are using a GM piano then forget about this.

Note that you said fills. Normally fills do not play all of the time. Is that the problem?

Let us know what you find out.

PS - An after thought, make sure that all of the fill notes are on the same channel and that there are no program changes in said track. Again using a MIDI editor look for PG. That is the name of program change.

Posted By: M Max Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 10:36 PM
Thanks MarioD for your suggestions.
This Memorial Day morning and afternoon, admittedly out of frustration, I decided to re-create the song from scratch, figuring something must have gotten corrupted.
It took a little time, and as usual many presses of the "play" button to get an acceptable performance, but happily I have my play along track, and a realization that I need to be more fluent in the "ALT" scales. Sometimes thinking of an ALT scale as the 7#11 a tri-tone away helps.
Thank you also Audio Track for your help. My apologies to both of you for your time, only to then see me wiggle my way out of the problem.
M. Max
Posted By: MarioD Re: piano fills drop out - 05/29/23 11:24 PM
There is no need to apologize.

I'm glad you solved the problem.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: piano fills drop out - 05/30/23 12:31 AM
Please to hear that you did resolve. That's what really matters smile
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: piano fills drop out - 05/30/23 04:57 AM
I decided to re-create the song from scratch, figuring something must have gotten corrupted.
It took a little time...

FWIW, I create most of my songs first in a notation tool (MuseScore), export to XML and import to BIAB. That way if/when things go awry in BIAB, I just start again from the XML.

For me I work that way because I want the notation anyway, so the XML->BIAB step is just what I do.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: piano fills drop out - 06/03/23 02:54 PM
If you ask for help and I recommend that you do XYZ, someone else says do MNO, and you end up solving it using HIJ.... the only thing that matters is that you solved it and by using HIJ...and telling us.... maybe I learned something new.

That's what we're here for. With the complexity of this program, only a few people even come close to "knowing it all" and even they will admit that they don't. And that includes PG staff.... LOL
© PG Music Forums