PG Music Home
I created a 167 bar piece and now I'm polishing it up a bit, by adding drum fills at certain places, but here's the problem, I have to keep hitting F4 and listening for that particular fill, but F4 also affects other fills too, is there a way to specifically choose a fill such as a tom roll, or a crash?

EG
supposing I use a rock style and within that style are several fills, I want to retrieve a particular snare fill, or a tom fill, is this possible?
I'm lazy - I simply cut n paste in my DAW of choice.
me too - easy in RealBand
Originally Posted By: rayc
I'm lazy - I simply cut n paste in my DAW of choice.

It's not be lazy. Some things are much easier to do in a DAW.

I also cut and paste, among many other things, BiaB tracks in my DAW.
Cut & paste. Some problems really do have simple solutions.
Yep....everyone beat me to it. But That's exactly how I do it.

I would add that if you hear a really cool drum fill in the song anywhere...FREEZE the track so you don't lose it. Every time you change a chord, add a marker, close and reopen the project, it absolutely will regenerate every single track including the drums. Anything you like will be gone. So freeze it.

And remember that you can duplicate the drum real track in a new track and it will generate different fills. So you can actually comp the best fills from the tracks into the one you're using in the final mix.

Take them all into your DAW and set your DAW resolution to MEASURE and simply drag the unwanted fill out and the new fill into place. It snaps right into place fully synced and ready to roll.
Or you can stay in Band-in-a-Box.

Freeze the drum track.
Use the utility tracks for extra drum tracks.
Once you have the fills you want then use the Audio Editor to mute and playback as desired.
Originally Posted By: Jim Fogle
Or you can stay in Band-in-a-Box.

Freeze the drum track.
Use the utility tracks for extra drum tracks.
Once you have the fills you want then use the Audio Editor to mute and playback as desired.

Which is why I cut n paste in a DAW.
Originally Posted By: rayc
Which is why I cut n paste in a DAW.
Which of course is quicker and more efficient than staying in the original program.
One tip from a forum member helped provide some alternative drum fills.

At the end of the arrangement allow 20-30 (ymmv) bars extra workspace.
In the space add some section changes (blue,green, etc) too
Additionally you may also try adding some holds,stops,(.,..,...) etc. Include & Exclude instruments as desired.

I found cadences (5-1 or 2-5-1) seem to accentuate the fills in some styles. Don't know if this is true but it seems so to my fragile eggshell mind.

Cut/past in my DAW is how I use them

Perhaps this will help you.
© PG Music Forums