PG Music Home
Posted By: Boog Recording Drums - 06/12/23 03:23 PM
Hi there: Using the popup drum kit, I'm trying to record a very simple riff, but then I play it back it's not a drum but a cello and I cannot figure out how to make it a drum sound. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Recording Drums - 06/12/23 03:43 PM
Without know more about your process and drum kit all I can say is make sure that your drum's MIDI channel is channel 10 and your drum's sound source is also on channel 10.

BUT it would be a lot more helpful if we know more about your system. Things like computer OS, MIDI input and MIDI sound source, etc.
Posted By: Boog Re: Recording Drums - 06/12/23 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Without know more about your process and drum kit all I can say is make sure that your drum's MIDI channel is channel 10 and your drum's sound source is also on channel 10.

BUT it would be a lot more helpful if we know more about your system. Things like computer OS, MIDI input and MIDI sound source, etc.

How do I put the drum midi channel on 10. I checked the help file but didn't see a path to that function. Thanks.
Posted By: Boog Re: Recording Drums - 06/12/23 04:31 PM
Originally Posted By: Boog
Originally Posted By: MarioD

How do I put the drum midi channel on 10. I checked the help file but didn't see a path to that function. Thanks.

Ah found it. Thanks. smile
Posted By: Boog Re: Recording Drums - 06/12/23 05:32 PM
Still no luck with this. All I want to do is bring up the virtual drum kit and record what I play on the drums. It records but I get a piano, a sax, a flute ... everything but a drum sound.
Posted By: Boog Re: Recording Drums - 06/12/23 06:18 PM
LOLOL, I don't know exactly what I did but it's working. smile
Posted By: Simon - PG Music Re: Recording Drums - 06/12/23 08:20 PM
Glad you've got it sorted!

In the future, like Mario said it's best if you list ALL of the software and hardware you're using, since otherwise we can only guess at what the problem might be. The Beginners forum (where we are right now) is not limited to Band-in-a-Box, RealBand, PowerTracks, or any of our other software, so we need to know some things before we can answer anything.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Recording Drums - 06/13/23 03:02 PM
It's standard to use MIDI channel 10 for drums.

Depending on your synth, you can put them on any channel. However, since channel 10 is usually the default for software apps most music apps and synths will assume Channel 10 is the drum channel and assign it to drums by default.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: Gordon Scott Re: Recording Drums - 06/13/23 07:03 PM
Just BTW, occasionally you'll find a second set of percussion on channel 11.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Recording Drums - 06/14/23 09:16 PM
Of course Creative Labs assigned drums to channel 16 before the MIDI 1.0 specification was released in 1983 so it's possible to find some very old midi files with drums on channel 16.
© PG Music Forums