PG Music Home
Hi. I'm new to the forum. I use .sf2 soundfonts in the music software I use to compose and adapt songs. It's called MuseScore 3.62. Although Musescore has come out with a newer version that uses VST libraries, I don't yet use it and am still using the older .sf2 soundfont version, for a variety of performance reasons.

I have found some very nice VST sounds online that I would love to use in MuseScore 3.62. I am prepared to buy them. Is there any software anywhere that will input a VST sound and convert it to an .sf2 soundfont? I tried Polyphone but so far, no go.

Help!
Originally Posted by Frank G
I have found some very nice VST sounds online that I would love to use in MuseScore 3.62. I am prepared to buy them. Is there any software anywhere that will input a VST sound and convert it to an .sf2 soundfont? I tried Polyphone but so far, no go.

Help!

Ya, there should be software to do just that. Musocity would likely know. He stops by the forums in the off hours.

But why do you want to do that? MuseScore 4 offers an entire free library of great sounds, including it allows you to use any VST3 (i.e., Kontakt)! Time for you to step up to the new MuseScore 4.2.1 ?

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
You could automate it in Reaper or other DAW to record the output of a VST instrument by inputting midi notes and recording to wav then use that as an SF2.
There are paid ways:
https://samplerobot.com/pages/samplerobot
http://www.extranslator.com/
Dr. Dan:

Thanks for the reply. I am not using Musescore 4.2.1 yet, because it has not implemented dynamics editing for hairpins and dynamics. I currently use MS 3.6.2 because it allows me to fine-tune the volume of every instrument in a score, as often as I wish, in every measure, using hairpins and dynamics edits. For example, the dynamic of "p" = 49 (volume). The next dynamic is "mp" = 64. In MS 4.2.1, I have to use one of them ... period. In MS3.6.2, I can edit the "p" to equal 55, or use a hairpin to slowly increase volume from "p" to 55 over 2 measures using a rising hairpin. Perhaps it doesn't always matter but to me, those smaller changes in volume mean a lot when adapting an existing song to Musescore sheet music. I listen to the score using the recorder when done and I need the feature present.

There are also several things still missing from MS4.2.1 that I need for my work. So, I cannot use its ability to use higher quality VST instruments. That's why I posted the question about .sf2 soundfonts. They are the only ones I can use in MS 3.62.
Thanks for your reply. I wish I knew DAW keyboards but I don't. I don't even own one, so ...

I have sent an inquiry email to the two software links you posted to see if their software can convert a VST library of instruments to individual .sf soundfonts, so we'll see what happens.
I currently use MS 3.6.2 because it allows me to fine-tune the volume of every instrument in a score, as often as I wish, in every measure, using hairpins and dynamics edits.

When you mention 'hairpins', is that referring to Crescendo and Diminuendo, which refer to gradual increasing or decreasing in volume?

Like this:
[Linked Image]

Oh, and welcome to the neighborhood also.

Attached picture 2024-04-14_11-53-14.jpg
Audiotrack:
Yes, the hairpins you used are exactly what I mean. By using an up and then a down hairpin, I can swell the instrument volume in that track by a little, or a lot, by simply adjusting the velocity of the two hairpins in MS 3.62. For example, I frequently use a <+10 and a >-10 for the two hairpins, causing a modest swell mid-measure then falloff. MS 4.2.1 does not yet have velocity edits for hairpins, or for dynamics marks either. That is why I am seeking a really good solo soprano female voice as a .sf2 soundfont, not as a VST (which 4.2.1 can use).
© PG Music Forums