PG Music Home
Posted By: Andy A - USA Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 11:08 AM
I'm a simple guy and often the RDs are too much for me, full kits. Say I just want a sidestick. No high-hat, on kick drum, almost just a metronome with one instrument. The shakers and the tambourines tracks are good examples of existing RDs where only one instrument is used.

Honestly, I've researched and watched the videos, but only get pointed back to the full RT selections and Partmakers. I understand them and that Partmakers contain drum controls, but again they don't limit the instruments to just one.

Is there a particular RD track that has a simple sidestick or is there a way to create one?

Right now I'm using _CPPBSAJ.STY Solo Acousting Piano Ballad Slow, ev8, 4/4, at 64bpm. I've tried several of the Nashville RDs, the Praise styles, and they would probably be great if I could isolate a snare or a stick or whatever I want. I'm aware of the RD choices in the Partmakers, and I do use those, and I've also tried removing all the Partmakers, to create a separate drum track just for the DAW so there is no change anywhere, but it still does not limit the number of instruments.

I've been making my own tracks manually, like copy a few pristine sidestick strike (1/4 note?), paste them in a DAW track, separate them...place each on the desired 1/4 note,...takes a long time, and I have to create a new one if I change the beat, and it's is dependent on me placing each note on the beat very precisely, then merge them as one track, which works but takes a lot of adjusting.

Help?

Thank you.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 11:21 AM
Andy,

The best way to get what you want (I think) is to create a loop from one of the stick tracks that you have already set up in a DAW.

Copy a measure (4 beats) or better, copy 4 measures (16 beats) to a new track and export that track only to a wav file. Note the tempo of your song that it comes from.

You can them copy that file to the Loops folder in BIAB and load it into any BIAB song and have it play correctly (meaning in the correct tempo).

Once you have figured out how to do this (it's easy), you can do the same for a kick drum...or a snare... in any pattern that you night use...

Look over how I explained using the Clap loops that I created - it will give you an idea of how to do what you need...

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=239513

Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 11:35 AM
Thanks, Floyd, but, and I'm sure I'm just not clear so let me try to walk thru each step.

I create (cut paste) a stick beat in my DAW like I've been doing, but just for 4, or 16 strikes (notes), save as a wav, just this short portion, like a few full beats (say 2 full measure beats), import to BB to Loops folder and load it to a BB track as a Loop.

I'll try, but won't it be affected by where the short section ends, meaning there will be an odd fraction of a second (a millisecond) after the final strike, or does BB or the Loop "sense" each strike and make the adjustments to only play each strike at the correct spot in the BB track?
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 12:03 PM
Whatever DAW you are using (and you might mention that, so others can chime in if I am not familiar with your DAW) should show beats and measure markers based on whatever tempo you have designated.

16 beats is a good number to work with for something like this because it can give you a little variety - where the ""hit" lands relative to the beat (humanized). If you only use 4, it can sound machine-like because it does the same thing all the time.

If you can explain what type beat pattern you want for the stick (beats 2 & 4 or just 3, etc.), I can create it for you and show you pictures of how I do that...
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 12:11 PM
OK, thanks Floyd.

I have not switched over to Reaper yet, and am still using a weak, but simple DAW, MixPad. Their Help section and videos are nearly as thorough as the instructions on a book of matches.

Though there is probably a way, I've never seen it marked for beats, just time; I'm just rendering the BB tracks to wavs, importing to the DAW.

Let me monkey around with it all.

Thanks again for your help.
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 12:35 PM
Download one of the zip files from the link above and try one out so you can see how they work.

You can also bring one of them into your DAW to see what they look like there (select the same tempo as the file). Try the 16 beat 1 & 3 or 2 & 4...

Try them in a BIAB song so you understand how to set them up there. It is easy once you've done it once... follow my instructions...

Once you get the hang of it, create a stick pattern right under my claps in your DAW and then export that stick pattern as a file...
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 12:37 PM
You are a good man! Thanks!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 12:46 PM
Andy,

In addition to floyd's comments... this might be useful information.

If you locate the audio file for your selected Realdrums (it will be under bb\Drums), load the wma file into a DAW and scroll to the very end. The last couple of minutes of each Realdrum audio track contains a recording of each sound that the kit consists of. This will allow you to easily isolate the side-stick sound you are after.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 01:58 PM
Andy here is another option. I see that Mixpad does MIDI so put a note on every quarter note (or whatever timing you want) for the sidestick. If you need the MIDI number of a GM sidestick I can get it for you. Do this for the entire song. Quantize to a quarter note (or whatever timing you chose). Save a copy of the MIDI track for future use. Set your tempo and save the MIDI track as a wav. The MIDI track can be used over and over as MIDI can be used at any tempo.

I have to run but if you want I will send you a MIDI track of just the sidestick at any interval you want.
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 02:41 PM
You guys....thanks so much. I downloaded the zip files, Floyd. The instruction are VERY clear. And, unbelievably I (I wish I could cap and bold that "I") was able to do it.

Noel, thank you so much. I'll look at this right now.

Mario, I'll also follow your instructions and if I just can't get it, I'll PM you. Thanks, man.

You guys.... THREE great suggestions.... My early Christmas presents.

You da' men!
Posted By: MarioD Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 04:36 PM
Andy you have a PM (private message).
Posted By: Andy A - USA Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/21/16 11:37 PM
Thanks, Mario!
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Create a personal Real Drums track - 12/22/16 01:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Andy A - USA
You guys....thanks so much. I downloaded the zip files, Floyd. The instruction are VERY clear. And, unbelievably I (I wish I could cap and bold that "I") was able to do it.

If you put "[B" in front of the I and "/B]" (both without the quotes) after it, that will bold the text.

End result is THIS.
© PG Music Forums