PG Music Home
I do not want BIAB to choose its own substitute chords or to add notes to a chord not specified in my chord symbols.

How do I shut this off?

In BIAB 2005 (which is where I have been since about 2006) under the big S you could ask it not to add notes to chords, and I like that. Now I cannot find that equivalent feature in BIAB 2017.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Version 2017: Try EDIT > CHORDS > AUTO-GENERATE CHORD SUBSTITUTIONS .... Remove checkmark from box named "include subs with chords each beat" and change % to substitute from default of 70 to 0.

EDIT > PREFERENCES > ARRANGE > NATURAL ARRANGEMENTS (RE_INTERPET COMPLEX CHORDS) set to disable.

Something else to try, too...

Right-click on the chordsheet and select 'Song Settings'.

There are two options within song settings that promote chord substitution when enabled. I've highlighted those on the image below. Simply disable them.

Attached picture chord substitutions.JPG
Originally Posted By: Noel96

There are two options within song settings that promote chord substitution when enabled. I've highlighted those on the image below. Simply disable them.

Thanks Noel, I remembered the screen but could not remember how to get to it.
Hi Jim,

Glad to help. One thing I learned years ago is that these forums is all about team work smile

I wish you a terrific Christmas and 2017!
Noel
Originally Posted By: Noel96

You guys rock! This worked perfectly!

There was a place where I had Ab13 with the melody note on the natural 13th, and it was giving me a b13 (or +5) on the Ab chord, which was stinking the place up. There was also a Gb13 chord that was producing a b9 and again, clashed with the melody note which was the natural 9, and about sent me into the psyche ward!

So again, thanks so much for your expertise and your help!
Hi,

Just purchased BIAB 2022 Mega Pak. Have followed all your above suggestions that seemed to sort my A13 chord that included an unwanted #9 but now cannot get a straight A7 without the unwanted #9 included. I am tearing my hair out with it as it clashes horribly. All attempts at retyping and reloading fail to solve the issue. Any ideas? Thanks.
Originally Posted By: muso1950
Hi,

Just purchased BIAB 2022 Mega Pak. Have followed all your above suggestions that seemed to sort my A13 chord that included an unwanted #9 but now cannot get a straight A7 without the unwanted #9 included. I am tearing my hair out with it as it clashes horribly. All attempts at retyping and reloading fail to solve the issue. Any ideas? Thanks.

One thing to try is this setting, from Options > Preferences. You may need to experiment with the settings.

Attached picture 2021-12-22_9-26-20.jpg
Originally Posted By: muso1950
Hi,

As above. Also, this will sound like I’m making a mistake but try A9. This forces the natural nine so BIAB cannot substitute a flatted or sharped nine. And of course this assumes you are willing to hear the natural nine as well as the dominant seven.
Can a contributor explain the curious (to me) phrase: "Natural Arrangements (re-interpret complex chords)"?
Originally Posted By: BackingTrack
Can a contributor explain the curious (to me) phrase: "Natural Arrangements (re-interpret complex chords)"?

With this set, the program can intelligently choose alternative chord voicings to the one that is set in the chord chart. Little is known about the internal operations, however, generally it will replace a very complex chord with a simpler variation.
As VideoTrack said, we don’t know how it works. I think that it is more likely to allow longer phrases because it does appear to simplify the chords, and that makes it more likely to find longer prerecorded phrases of comping.
© PG Music Forums