PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Mono/Stereo - 02/16/17 05:52 AM
Hi, just wondering if there is a preference setting in BiaB to just create tracks in mono only. I only use 1 speaker for my gigs for space and convenience.
If this is not available I am guessing I should pan everything to the left??
Trying to get the optimum sound from each instrument.
Thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/16/17 07:26 AM
wish,

It's certainly possible to render to mono (see the image below). I don't know of a setting that forces stereo tracks to play mono, though.

If you use a stereo track (that information is in the Realtrack picker under the 'Stereo' column; Mn = mono, St = stereo), panning to one side might not give the best sound as it will only give the sound of that particular side of the stereo recording.

I reckon the best way to convert to mono would be to pan everything to the centre and then have a stereo lead coming out of your computer that plugs it into a 'stereo to mono' adapter that feeds into your speaker system.

Another possibility would be to use a VST stereo-to-mono plugin on any stereo tracks. I've just done a search in Google and it seems that there are freeware ones around. Since I've never used these, though, I hesitate to recommend any.

Hope this helps,
Noel

Attached picture render to mono.JPG
Posted By: wish Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/16/17 07:33 AM
Thanks Noel, I have just rendered WAV files from the main menu screen previously. Will look at the option. From there I use Audacity to normalise and export as an MP3 then into my IPad. My issues are more in the original makeup of the song in BiaB.
Cheers
Posted By: Tobias Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/16/17 06:27 PM
I think it's okay to simply pan everything to the center, do your mixing and volume levels, etc. Render it all in stereo and your mono sound system, powered speaker, keyboard amp, or PA will take care of summing to mono. Especially if you are doing your mixes with only one speaker or with a system that is in mono mode.
This way no matter what type of connection you make to your live system, stereo headphone cable, XLR, 1/4" jack, Stereo RCA, BlueTooth, it won't matter as long as your channel strips pan/balance is in the middle. You'll get the same result if you plug in your mono speaker to either left or right output of your mixer if was all mixed in mono (all panning in center during mixing).
Even if you use a stereo live mixer if you only connect one speaker to left or right everything is in the middle so I don't see how it would matter at all.

Does anyone dissagree?
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/17/17 09:09 AM
Well... depending on the mixer you are using for your live shows....

I think all of the stereo mixers the various bands I played in had, all had 3 outputs on the back.... Right, Left, and MONO. Since we never ran a stereo mix on our gigs, we plugged into the MONO output.

Check your mixer outputs and see if you don't have one too. If you do, simply mix all your songs for listening on a stereo system and don't worry about the live gig ... use the mono out and you're good with both aspects covered.
Posted By: wish Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/17/17 05:36 PM
Thanks, will see what works best from these ideas.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/18/17 10:04 AM
Another option is to use a stereo to mono Y cord. I've seen some bands using that in the past as well.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Mono/Stereo - 02/21/17 11:55 PM
Hi wish (neat moniker),

Two suggestions that may help using Band-in-a-Box 2017.

Suggestion 01: At the top, left of the screen is a track list starting with Master on the left and Audio on the right. Right click on Master to bring up a sub menu. Click the next to the last checkbox to enable "Set mix to Flat, Dry and Center"

Suggestion 02: Press Cntrl + E or Click on Options > Preferences ... then click on the Audio button to open the Audio screen. Set both "Audio type for THIS song" and "Preferred default track type for new songs" to Mono.
© PG Music Forums