PG Music Home
Posted By: Ted H Other instruments - 03/06/17 04:50 PM
Hi all,
Newb here just a bit curious about adding additional instruments in BIAB. In particular: horns and Hammond stuff with emphasis on the Hammond. Any ideas or suggestions?
Ted H
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Other instruments - 03/06/17 06:25 PM
Sure.... and welcome.

So Ted, here;s what a bunch of us do. Since BB is limited to 5 tracks or so.... we write in BB and get the song arrangement right... tempo, key, style, structure etc.... then we save it, close it and open REAL BAND.

RB will load the BB project and THAT's where you can add as many new and different "other" tracks as you wish.

I like using the rock styles for country music but the BB rock styles do not include fiddle, steel, or mandolin. But once I get that project open in RB, I can add those tracks and whatever else I think works well in the song.

Many of the songs on my website for music reflect this very thing.
Posted By: Ted H Re: Other instruments - 03/06/17 06:38 PM
Thanks for the reply Guitarhacker...(great moniker btw :))
I am doing the usual Youtube fishing expedition in tandem with Reaper vids. My head is spinning more than usual. I'm more interested in generating single instrument tracks for things I can't play to export into projects in Reaper. I just opened Real Tracks for the first time after making the initial post. As an aside I did notice that the instrument bar in BIAB changed and the piano disappeared and I now have guitar 1,2 and 3. Ummm, huh? crazy Any vids in particular you would recommend?
Posted By: dcuny Re: Other instruments - 03/08/17 04:35 AM
If you're used to Reaper, you can just export MIDI and audio tracks and load them into Reaper. That way, you don't have to learn another DAW.

Be sure you set the Reaper project tempo to match BiaB before you start importing tracks!

That having been said, there are lots of advantages to RealBand, especially because it works seamlessly with RealTracks.

But if you're comfortable with Reaper, you may want to stick with what as your DAW for for the moment, just to reduce the learning curve a bit.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Other instruments - 03/08/17 10:05 AM
Originally Posted By: Ted H
Thanks for the reply Guitarhacker...(great moniker btw :))
I am doing the usual Youtube fishing expedition in tandem with Reaper vids. My head is spinning more than usual. I'm more interested in generating single instrument tracks for things I can't play to export into projects in Reaper. I just opened Real Tracks for the first time after making the initial post. As an aside I did notice that the instrument bar in BIAB changed and the piano disappeared and I now have guitar 1,2 and 3. Ummm, huh? crazy Any vids in particular you would recommend?

You simply open your project in Real Band. I like to use the TRACK VIEW...or the DAW view where you see the tracks in the project.

Simply highlight one of the tracks... (the longest one in length)

Click on a new blank track below the occupied tracks and select GENERATE A REAL TRACK.

THe menu box opens to show you all the real tracks in your version.

Find one in the instrument section you want.... choose the track according to it's native parameters. rhythm or solo, even or swing, tempo, when you get the one that looks good, hit the OK button and see what it gives you.

I will then export those tracks as waves, one by one to a folder. I then copy or drag the files to my DAW's tracks.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Other instruments - 03/08/17 12:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

RealBand (RB) works similar to a DAW and is able to handle up to 48 tracks so you can add many instruments.

Band-in-a-Box (BiaB) has eight tracks but each track is not limited to one instrument. Select the F5 icon or press F5 while your cursor is in a bar and a submenu window opens. The F5 window lets you select different RealTracks, Supermidi tracks, midi, drums or loops.

Hope this helps.
© PG Music Forums