PG Music Home
Posted By: DJJP how to put 4 chord changes , within 1 stanza ?? - 03/09/17 03:34 PM
Hi all...Newbie here..I just made a song in 4/4 ...but ..in the chorus I would luv to put 4 chord changes in one stanza...while resting briefly on each chord ....??????????????( i hope my example is not confusing ??)...my chorus should go... 1: laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (4 beats all with same chord )...2: laaaaaaaaaaaaa (4 beats with same chord )... 3: la la la la (4 beats each with different chord). 4: laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (4 beats with same chord)...makes sense ???...lol....any help would be *a help*....thanks.
If you mean that in one measure that should hear "bump, bump, bump, bump", then you can easily do this using the "shot" feature.

First, to create four chords in one bar, you enter the first chord, comma, second chord in the first half of the cell, then do the same thing in the second half of the cell.

But when you enter the chords, just put two periods after each chord. This tells BIAB to play a shot on that beat.

So you just enter:

C..,C.. In the first half of the cell, then do the same in the second half.

Don't know if that answered your question.
Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, I'm not sure what you mean by a stanza. In music, it's better to refer to bars or measures. In 4/4 time, each bar will have 4 beats.

With this in mind, it reads like you have four bars of music with two different chords. Bars 1, 2 and 4 have the same chord and bar 3 has a different chord.

[EDIT: Correction regarding bar 3.... I read the original post incorrectly regarding this. MarioD's solution below gives the solution.]

If the above is the case, simply enter chord 1 on beat 1 of bar 1; chord 2 on beat 1 of bar 3 and chord 1 on beat 1 of bar 4.

It would also pay to check out the video tutorials at the below link. I suspect these would help greatly.

http://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

The one called "How to enter chords" in the 'Beginners' sections sounds like it might be the best suited to your immediate needs.

All the best,
Noel

Originally Posted By: DJJP
. 3: la la la la (4 beats each with different chord).

Discarded - had major brain phat!
Thanks all....this gives me things to try......Much appreciated.
Your example is very confusing.

In music as has been pointed out..... the tempo is constant in most cases. Each measure will have 4 beats in 4/4 time. Those beats are there whether you are playing a note pausing/resting, or doing whatever.... you have to keep that tempo in mind. Given that tempo is constant and consistent, it's easy enough to place your chord changes exactly where you need them using additional measures as needed.

Using the BB structure for a measure.... C,D E,F ( place a comma after the 1st and 3rd chord) .... you can place 4 chord changes in a measure. Also by using the ^E for example or the ^^G you can "push" the chord change ahead of the exact beat in the tempo.
<<< the tempo is constant in most cases. >>>

I sometimes end a verse with a single measure 4 chord walk down and nearly always change the tempo for that measure to get the cadence to sound right. In the Key of G, the bar would look like this: G..,f../Em.., G..

The change of tempo if very important for that measure to sound correct. Normally, a small increase in tempo sounds best.

Charlie
The keyboard shortcuts for getting chords on beats 2 and 4, adding shots, pushes, holds, etc., are fast once you learn them and remember them.

Perhaps a better way for someone new to the program is to instead move your cursor to the bar you want to work on and press <Alt> F5 to bring up the chord options menu for that specific bar.
Originally Posted By: Charlie Fogle
<<< the tempo is constant in most cases. >>>

I sometimes end a verse with a single measure 4 chord walk down and nearly always change the tempo for that measure to get the cadence to sound right. In the Key of G, the bar would look like this: G..,f../Em.., G..

The change of tempo if very important for that measure to sound correct. Normally, a small increase in tempo sounds best.

Charlie

Indeed. When I do that I often split the 4/4 measures into 2/4 measures and decrease the tempo over those shorter measures. It makes for a more natural and gradual decrease in tempo. Of course you have to add measures to do this correctly.
© PG Music Forums