PG Music Home
Posted By: wish Midi setup - 05/01/17 10:20 AM
Hi, have just purchased a cable for my midi controller - has 2 plugs with 5 pins and the other end a USB. I have had one of these for many years but believe windows 10 did not support this.
I have a Goldstar GMK-49 keyboard and running BiaB 2017 ultra plus pak.
Haven't needed midi to date but thought I would give it a try so looking for some basic midi settings to get a sound from the keyboard. From there I will worry about a sound module or whatever it takes to get a decent sound....but first any sound.
Is it easy for someone to assist with the midi setup screen please.
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/01/17 10:34 AM
I should have mentioned that when I open up the large piano screen I do get a signal when I play the midi keyboard. That is it registers what note I am playing.....sometime a really faint sound but nothing you could really hear distinctly.
Posted By: jford Re: Midi setup - 05/01/17 12:04 PM
You didn't say which MIDI cable interface you have, nor whether you are running Windows or Mac, or which version of BIAB you are running. The problem could be the adapter you are using.

I have an earlier version of this E-Mu MIDI adapter, which has worked fine for me on Windows 7, 8, and 10.

Others have used this M-Audio MIDI adapter. And PG-Music sells this Roland unit on its site.

If you are seeing input from your keyboard, then the computer should be receiving the data. However, it may be a channel setting issue, or the synth settings, or a number of things.

Give us more information and we can probably get you working.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Midi setup - 05/01/17 03:40 PM
Also check your MIDI device settings, and if you have a VSTi setup to route the sounds:

Attached picture 2017-05-02_04-36-50.jpg
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midi setup - 05/01/17 08:39 PM
I can verify what John has said. I have a one also and it works perfectly in Win 10.

VideoTrack's info is important. This is needed for a correct connection.

I will throw a wrench into the works now. BiaB has only one input port, thus you can only play one track with your keyboard without some fancy work around. Why not just record in a DAW. If you don't have one and you are on a PC RealBand is a very good free DAW that comes with BiaB. With any DAW you can record a number of track using your keyboard and a different sound on each track. With RealBand just import your BiaB or use RealBand to do your BiaB work, although some things are left out of Realband that BiaB has in it. If you have another DAW then just use the DAW mode in BiaB to copy BiaB tracks to you DAW.
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/01/17 10:01 PM
Thanks for the posts. I'm going to try to post an image of the midi page setup....so if it doesn't work I'll try again.
I did download the Coyote trial when I purchased BiaB but has since expired so that won't work until I buy it. Happy to do that when I know this cable is working.
the cable is an Icon MidiPort - the options were zero.
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/h46c8j77oy61n84/Screenshot%202017-05-02%2010.17.29.png?dl=0[/img]
I have opened up Real Band but no idea how to get a sound out of one of the highlighted tracks....sorry.
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi setup - 05/01/17 10:28 PM
Your image shows a BiaB setup screen but you referenced trying it in Realband.
Which program are you wanting to use it with?
If Realband, I suggest posting this issue in the Realband forum.
If BiaB, hopefully other's suggestions help you to find joy.
Posted By: Tobias Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 03:41 AM
Did you check you computers soundcard properties to see if something is muted or turned down there?
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 05:09 AM
I'm happy to use the keyboard on any platform. Can I use it in BiaB or is it better suited to Real Band.
I am presumimg I just may want to add a organ track (for instance) to a backing track...??
I will post in Real Band...I have now a very basic piano sound using Real Band with a lot of latency so that's not going to work for me.
Thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 06:40 AM
Originally Posted By: wish
I have now a very basic piano sound using Real Band with a lot of latency so that's not going to work for me.
Thanks

If you have high latency then this is most likely due to using MME as the Audio Driver. Can you switch to ASIO and see if there is an improvement?

Attached picture 2017-05-02_19-39-13.jpg
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 07:33 AM
Thanks Video Track - it is saying I nave no ASIO drivers installed ??
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30214162/Screenshot%202017-05-02%2020.04.41.png
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 08:20 AM
Hi Wish

Try this link for the required drivers

You'll also find related information that might be useful from the same website.
Posted By: jford Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 09:09 AM
For testing purposes, you wouldn't need the Coyote Forte; the Coyote WT (which I see you enabled from your screen shot) should suffice.

First of all, I presume that you can play a BIAB song (make sure you select a MIDI-only style, because a RealTracks style won't help test the system) and it plays fine using the Coyote WT.

If so, then open up the BIAB mixer and select the "Pianos" tab, then play something on the keyboard. Do you see input from the keyboard on the "Thru" track (if you don't see the Thru track, click on the little "Thru" button in the bottom right of the mixer to display it).

If you do see input, then that tells us that the keyboard is transmitting to the computer.

If so, then click on the "Mixer" tab and make sure you have an instrument selected for the "Thru" track. Also, make sure that you have the volume slider up for the Thru track.

If this all works, then you should hear latency (since your screen shot indicated you are running the MME audio driver). It will probably present itself as about a half second or so delay after hitting the keyboard key and hearing sound.

As Trevor (VideoTrack) suggested, download the ASIO4ALL driver and configure that on your computer. That should remove the latency.

Don't know if this helps, but it's a few things to try.
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 09:34 AM
Ok,getting closer. Have downloaded the ASIO (thanks Trevor) and can play a midi style with sound.
Have opened the mixer and the keyboard will generate a weird keyboard sound ...??? but latency has gone.
I have opened up the Piano thru track and getting the signal on the screeen plus this weird sound.... no latency.
Here are my settings now.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30214162/Screenshot%202017-05-02%2022.01.52.png
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi setup - 05/02/17 08:08 PM
Your settings look OK to me.
Maybe you need to open the Coyote synth and see what instrument is assigned the MIDI channel the keyboard is sending.
This may be a setting inside the synth itself.
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/03/17 06:30 AM
Have real band working....I think, so happy to think I can use that platform for Midi. I will post a couple of tech issues on the Real Band forum to tidy up. Thanks for the posts.
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Midi setup - 05/03/17 11:10 AM
Hi
Just a quickie reminder
When working in BIAB
What you hear from your keyboard is the voice chosen for the thru channel in the mixer,
If you make a recording this gets sent to the Melody channel as note data
What you hear on playback is whatever voice you have assigned to the melody channel.
If you want it to sound as the thru voice you must select the same voice for melody playback

The same is true if you work on the soloist channel,
So if you want your live thru voice to sound as you will hear it on playback make sure that you use the same MIDI voice in the mixer for the relative tracks.
Hope this helps a bit
Best regards
Mike

Posted By: jford Re: Midi setup - 05/03/17 11:37 AM
And I have made a wish list request to at least optionally enable automatically setting the Melody or Soloist track to the same settings as the Thru track when you are recording something. That way, you don't have to figure out all the settings on the Thru track and duplicate them - let the computer do what the computer is designed to do. Maybe one day.
Posted By: wish Re: Midi setup - 05/04/17 07:56 AM
Working through it all...thanks.
Away for a couple of days so will get back after a play around.
© PG Music Forums