PG Music Home
Posted By: timbomc Change melody instrument? - 05/19/17 08:41 PM
Hi all,

I've entered my song/chords in the chord sheet window. then I entered the melody in the notation window. When I play the song back the melody is played by a vibraphone. So is it possible to change the vibraphone to something else.

Timbomc

computer is a mac w/newest software
BIAB 2017
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Change melody instrument? - 05/19/17 09:08 PM
I'm not sure about the Mac version, but it should be possible to change the melody sound.

To do this on the Windows version, right-click where I've put the red cross on the image below and then select "Change patch" from the menu that appears.

Attached picture changing patch.JPG
Posted By: timbomc Re: Change melody instrument? - 05/19/17 09:47 PM
Noel96,

That worked! thanks. Is there a way to make it a real instrument. not MIDI.

Thanks again
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Change melody instrument? - 05/19/17 10:51 PM
No. Realtracks are recorded audio files of two to eight bar performances and not individual notes that can be directed to follow midi notation.

The quality of the midi output is determined by the midi software. Thus, if you have a high-quality VSTi software synthesiser (softsynth), the sound is much improved.

Posted By: timbomc Re: Change melody instrument? - 05/19/17 11:32 PM
Ok. Thanks.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Change melody instrument? - 05/20/17 08:02 AM
Originally Posted By: timbomc
Noel96,

That worked! thanks. Is there a way to make it a real instrument. not MIDI.

Thanks again

Noel's answer is correct for using BIAB RealTracks. You can also, or have someone, record an audio melody track. Alternately, you can import recorded audio. In the instance of importing, you process the audio through the Audio Chord Wizard first. This allows the audio chords to be determined and posted in the Chord sheet page as well as setting an accurate tempo and matches the key between BIAB generated tracks and the imported audio.

Charlie
Posted By: timbomc Re: Change melody instrument? - 05/20/17 04:16 PM
anks Charlie,

I'll have to try that in the future.
Posted By: AmsterdamLaura Re: Change melody instrument? - 08/21/19 03:05 AM
Hi, I also have a question. Is it possible to create more than one melody track? ( Two or three voices singing different parts of the harmony)
I use biab on mac.
Thank you

Laura
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Change melody instrument? - 08/21/19 08:15 AM
Two, certainly. The Melody and Soloist tracks function the same way.

More than two requires a workaround.
Posted By: AmsterdamLaura Re: Change melody instrument? - 08/22/19 01:38 AM
Thank you for your fast reply! That would be great (for now) to use both the solo- and the melody track. But how do I start inputting notes in the solo track?
How I got to the melody track was: I clicked on the note-button, started entering notes, and that happened to be on the melody track. Now there must be a way to choose to enter either melody or solo track, but I can’t find it yet... Thank you.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Change melody instrument? - 08/22/19 03:36 AM
Originally Posted By: AmsterdamLaura
... Now there must be a way to choose to enter either melody or solo track, but I can’t find it yet... Thank you.

This should help:
Also, welcome to the forum!

Attached picture 2019-08-22_16-34-55.jpg
Posted By: jford Re: Change melody instrument? - 08/22/19 10:01 AM
On the same screen as you entered your melody, you will see several buttons with letters, one for each BIAB track...B for Bass, P for Piano, ..., M for Melody,and the second S for Soloist (some of the letters may be different depending on the instrument assigned to that track). Click on that button and you can start entering notes on the soloist track. Be sure to apply an appropriate MIDI instrument to the track. You can also enter notes on the other tracks, but be aware that if there is a Realtrack on it, you won't hear the notes, and for MIDI tracks, everything will get regenerated by the style the next time you hit play, unless you first freeze the track.
© PG Music Forums