PG Music Home
Posted By: WendyM My ending cuts off early - 06/09/17 04:51 PM
Ive done this piece to have a held ending so made the last chord in bar108 D69... and shoved the "real" end out to Bar115. The idea is that it will hold and decay over few bars-au naturelle.
But what happens is that the chord holds for just ONE BAR and abruptly cuts off. What did I do wrong please?
WendyM

Attached picture LOUIS - ENDING.JPG
Posted By: floyd jane Re: My ending cuts off early - 06/09/17 05:21 PM
What you've done is the right way to go about it.

Not getting the expected results can depend on a few things...

Putting the held chord on the 4th measure (effectively) of a line will sometimes cause it to "cut off" at the next measure. Just for a test, put the held chord at 109. (you could make 107 and 108 2-beat measures if you don't want the extra measure).

See if removing the part marker at 109 changes anything.

What instruments are playing? It might be that they do not include a hold for a D69...(in which case, you might try a substitute there to find one that does - since it is a held chord, a change of RT won't cause a problem)

BTW - if you add a single dot to the last chord (at 115), nothing will play - otherwise the ending will play there. -- D69.

Posted By: WendyM Re: My ending cuts off early - 06/09/17 06:24 PM
Hello Floyd thanks for the info.
The backing track uses all RealTracks. It was indeed those blue part markers that somehow sneaked onto bars 109 and 113 when i wasnt looking. I didnt put them there so I guess it was something to do with when I was trying to get the ending I wanted and I didnt notice.
Howver, the net result is that I now get a nice 3 bar fade on all instruments together.
Just for good measure I put the single dot after D69 on bar115 but with or without, the fade still happens now.
I am very gratefull for your help.
WendyM
PS - been listening to some of yr back catalogue. V impresive!!!!

Attached picture LOUIS-AFTER FLOYD MODS.JPG
© PG Music Forums