PG Music Home
Hey, folks -

After updating Win 10 over the weekend (June 17/18 2017), my "Quick Play" style audition in the Style Picker is no longer working.

I am 99% certain this is because my Preferences file was never saved, and got lost in the update, but I don't know ho to fix the audio output and then save the Preferences.

I'm using a MOTU 828, main outputs on stereo 7/8. Audio from BB in a SONG works just fine; it's only the "Quick Play" that is stifled.

So it looks like the main Song output is set in Options>Preferences>Audio> Audio Drivers... working just fine. Where do I set output for "Quick Play"?

THANKS!! smile
Teejay (Neat nickname),

Quick preview likely uses the built-in, default, Windows media player. Windows 10 does not include a built-in, default, Windows media player. I think you can visit the Microsoft website and add a Windows media player at no additional cost.
Thanks, Jim!

Okay, I have Win 10 and Windows Media Player, still "no joy".

FWIW, your theory makes sense - back on Win 7, BB played the "Quick Play" out of different outputs than the MOTU. I forget which outputs... it was something that "just worked", so I never gave it any attention!

In WMP, trying to play a stored (non-BB) MP3, everything works just fine, but Quick Play is silent.

Any other ideas of stuff I should seek-out? I haven't payed much attention to WMP in years... it just works. Now, poking at it, I'm astounded at how complex it's gotten!! shocked

I appreciate the help! smile
Check your Windows file associations.

What program does Windows 10 use by default to open and play an audio only file such as a MP3, WMA or WAV file (not a native Band-in-a-Box file but a "standard" media file) when you double-click on a file? Band-in-a-Box might be calling for the default Windows media player and Win 10 might not have file associations for some audio files. If it does the file associations might call for a non standard Windows program such as RealPlayer.
Hi, Jim -

Thanks very much! That fixed me up!

I assume that the Windows 10 Update "automagically" associated Windows Groove Player with the MP3 file extension - without my knowledge or consent.

In Windows Settings, re-associating mp3's with Windows Media Player did the trick.

Anyone else bumping into this - be aware that you need to reboot after making the change. Save your tunes early and often.

And BB developers: - further research turned-up many online statements that "Windows has begun associating mp3's to 'more-modern players', such as Groove-Player." No gripes: I LOVE BB and I don't care what player I need to use... but I scoured my manual front to back, and the file association is never mentioned. A couple sentences circa p.74 in the Manual will fix this easily! smile

Back to making music, now. Cheers!
© PG Music Forums