PG Music Home
Posted By: DrDan No sound from keyboard on Midi Thru - 11/23/17 03:39 PM
So please tell me again, why do I not hear any sound from my midi keyboard on the BIAB Thru channel? I can see in the BIAB mixer that my keys strokes are being received. I have an acoustic piano patch on the thru channel. But no sound.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: No sound from keyboard on Midi Thru - 11/23/17 04:39 PM
Dan,

A couple of thoughts before I race off and get ready for work...

1. Have you checked the 'Thru' volume on the mixer? To do this, right-click on the "Thru+" icon on the bottom right corner of the mixer. (It reads like you've already done this.)

2. If you are using ASIO, try switching to MME and see if that gives sound?

3. In the Audio and Audio Driver settings, try checking and unchecking any options given.

4. Also, if you are using a VSTi/DXi at the moment, deactivate those in "Preferences | Midi Driver" and select "Microsoft GS Wavetable as the output driver.

By taking a step back by turning off ASIO and VSTi/DXi is a good way to begin isolating the problem.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: DrDan Re: No sound from keyboard on Midi Thru - 11/23/17 05:14 PM
Thanks for the quick response Noel. By the way, don't you folks celebrate thanksgiving day?

Quote:
. Also, if you are using a VSTi/DXi at the moment, deactivate those in "Preferences | Midi Driver" and select "Microsoft GS Wavetable as the output driver.

This was the quick fix. But yieps, it a pretty bad compromise to be able to play thorough, but have no VSTi or DXi option. Between latency, the poor sounds and my amateur playing stills I now remember why I have never really embraced the keyboard with BIAB. Why isn't this at the top of the wish list? I wonder how few people actually play Keyboards with BIAB??

Actually, I discovered I no longer have an ASIO option in BIAB. Don't know exactly when I lost that option unless it was over a year ago when I changed audio devices. I will have to look into that if I pursue the keyboard and BIAB - latency is a killer.
Hi MusicStudent,

If you're using an MME audio driver, then you can keep "Use VST/DXi Synth" checked. MIDI Thru (what you hear when you play on the keyboard) will still play through the MIDI Output Driver. So it should just work as long as the GS Wavetable is selected for Output.

If you'd like to use an ASIO driver to bring down the latency (highly recommended), and your sound card or audio interface didn't come with its own ASIO driver, then you should be able to use ASIO4ALL. It can be downloaded for free from www.asio4all.com. When using an ASIO driver, MIDI Thru will play through the default DXi/VSTi synth, just like the other MIDI tracks.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: DrDan Re: No sound from keyboard on Midi Thru - 11/24/17 12:16 AM
Thank you Kent, that sounds promising. I will give it a go, but unfortunately I have had a major video card problem with my machine today. No more dual monitors and no high resolution. So that it the priority right now.

Darn, sometimes battling these computers is taking more time than making music.

But I will get back to this soon and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks
Posted By: DrDan Re: No sound from keyboard on Midi Thru - 11/24/17 01:50 PM
Fixed that nasty video card driver issue.

Ok, I found my MOTU ASIO. Setup as you indicated. Hey, that is pretty nice now!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: No sound from keyboard on Midi Thru - 11/24/17 05:48 PM
Glad you got it working Dan.
© PG Music Forums