PG Music Home
Posted By: steve200 BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/27/17 11:10 PM
Hi,

(I've posted 2 newbie questions to this forum so far, and have gotten excellent answers for both. Here comes #3.)

I am using the Pianoteq MIDI piano module to upgrade the sound of my Roland FP-7F keyboard. It is excellent.

Pianoteq has an awesome feature that it is always recording your MIDI channel. It offers you access to stuff you've played recently, without you having to start recording. This is great for quick feedback on your practice sessions.

Of course, unfortunately, that doesn't capture the biab backing track i'm playing with.

I have two scenarios where i want to record:
1) making a polished recording
2) quick feedback for practice session

For (1) I definitely want to use Studio One.

For (2) I could imagine there are other solutions. Is there a quick and dirty way to record the mix of biab and my playing thru pianoteq, using biab?

In any case, i experimented with dropping tracks into Studio One, but did not have luck.

I used the DAW plugin view. When I clicked on the Master track button at top, and tried to drag it, i got a "not allowed" crossed off circle icon.

What do i have to do to enable dragging tracks into studio one?

Here are my daw plugin settings:

steve200
Posted By: DrDan Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/28/17 12:18 PM
Quote:
I have two scenarios where i want to record:
1) making a polished recording
2) quick feedback for practice session

For (1) I definitely want to use Studio One.

For (2) I could imagine there are other solutions. Is there a quick and dirty way to record the mix of biab and my playing thru pianoteq, using biab?

The answer is yes, but for "quick and dirty", "practice sessions" why do you want to record? Just between you and me, if you want to record go to Studio One. BIAB's ability to record is limited, while that is exactly what Studio One was made to do.
My suggestion is to get your workflow such that once you carve out a tune in BIAB you can drag and drop it into Sonar for recording your accompaniment. That should be your priority.

I don't have Studio One so I can't tell you exactly how to transfer content from BIAB into it. But I am confident when you discover how (you are just not pushing the right buttons - I use PianoTeq in both Reaper and BIAB going back and forth with a simple drag and drop), you will prefer that workflow for your recordings.

Good Luck, it takes some time to figure it all out.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/28/17 04:26 PM
Steve, 1- drag and drop the master to the center + window of the Drag and Drop. A prepare option for rendering will appear.

2-Click on Wav, Mid and separate files for each track.

3-Click on DAW in the Drag and Drop window.

4-Open Studio one and drag the + in BiaB's Drag and drop window to any empty area in Studio one's track window. All of your wav tracks as well as your MIDI track in then populate Studio one.

5-load your Pianoteq MIDI piano module in Studio one and you are all set.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Posted By: steve200 Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/28/17 10:02 PM
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve,

1- drag and drop the master to the center + window of the Drag and Drop. A prepare option for rendering will appear.

Thanks.

But, I can't drop the master to the + window in biab's drop area. When i try, I get a "not allowed" circle with a slash icon.

I found that I can drag and drop to Windows Explorer. But i got a message saying "Can't create .wav file because the file might already be open" or something like that.

Steve
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/29/17 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: steve200
Originally Posted By: MarioD
Steve,

1- drag and drop the master to the center + window of the Drag and Drop. A prepare option for rendering will appear.

Thanks.

But, I can't drop the master to the + window in biab's drop area. When i try, I get a "not allowed" circle with a slash icon.

I found that I can drag and drop to Windows Explorer. But i got a message saying "Can't create .wav file because the file might already be open" or something like that.

Steve

Are you using a PC or Mac? What version of BiaB are you using? I am using BiaB 2017 on a PC.

Note when I left click on the master I get the "not allowed" circle with a flash icon also but when I keep the left click down and move it to the + window it changes from that to a + sign.
Posted By: steve200 Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/29/17 09:01 AM
Thanks again.

I am using 2017 on windows 10. Yeah, unfortunately, when i drag master into the + sign, it stays a 'not allowed' circle.

steve200
Posted By: MarioD Re: BiaB, Pianoteq, Studio One - 12/29/17 10:15 AM
Originally Posted By: steve200
Thanks again.

I am using 2017 on windows 10. Yeah, unfortunately, when i drag master into the + sign, it stays a 'not allowed' circle.

steve200

Have you tried going into DAW mode prior to drop and dragging to the + window?

Have you tried return to factory settings?

{edit} an afterthought, have you tried running BiaB as the administrator?
Posted By: steve200 Re: BiaB, Drag and Drop, Studio One - 01/09/18 09:51 PM
i chatted with biab support. the solution to my problem seems to have been creating a folder called DragDrop in the bb directory
© PG Music Forums