PG Music Home
Posted By: senn5 Updating from 2015 ultra Pack - 01/03/18 02:45 PM
Just received my 2018 Ultra Pack update on Hard Drive and just curious before I start. My old version is 2015.
Do I just go ahead and install over my older version? Any thing one should do after the install to refresh everything?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Happy New Year ...:)
Posted By: jford Re: Updating from 2015 ultra Pack - 01/03/18 03:03 PM
I always install over the previous version, so that any add-ons I may have received over the years are preserved. The main thing with 2018, is that it does a clean-up routine and re-organizes the folder structure of BIAB (so there are not so many files in the main BIAB folder). Make sure the cleanup routine runs. Also make sure before you do the install that you know the exact location to do the install:

• location of the current BIAB folder
  • location of the current RealBand folder
  • location of RealDrums (if other than the main BIAB folder)
  • location of RealTracks (if other than the main BIAB folder)

One note of confusion during installation is the location of RealDrums and RealTracks. The installer program wants to know the folder one up from where they are located; however, when you run the BIAB (or RealBand) application, it wants to know the exact location of the RealDrums and RealTracks. By default, the installation location for both RealDrums and RealTracks is C:\BB (the main BIAB folder), whereas the program expects to find them in C:\BB\Drums and C:\BB\RealTracks, respectively.

But let's say you install your RealDrums and RealTracks to a different drive (on my computer, I have a folder called "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst", with the Drums and RealTracks folders below that. So during installation, I specify "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst" for both RealDrums and RealTracks. But then when I open BIAB (and RealBand) and specify the alternate location, I have to type "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst\Drums" and "D:\AppsData\Sounds\PGMusic\RealInst\RealTracks" respectively.

I hope that made sense.

Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Updating from 2015 ultra Pack - 01/03/18 03:05 PM
Hello. You will love the improvements. One thing: the interface that was introduced in version 2017 may seem odd at first, so remember Ctrl+T changes between old and new.

Yes, you should normally install right over your existing version. This keeps any user styles, bonus paks, songs etc. in place.

You will notice that the install will do a Cleanup routine and rearrange the files in the /BB folder into more sensible subfolders. If you ever install any other add-ons that were made prior to 2018, you should run the Cleanup utility in the /Data folder again.

The new audio driver defaults to WAS (WASAPI). Some people have had difficulty with sound and found that their old MME or ASIO driver was a better choice.

Other than that, everything should seem familiar enough.

EDIT: I concur with everything John wrote while I was posting.

Posted By: senn5 Re: Updating from 2015 ultra Pack - 01/04/18 11:52 AM
Thanks for your help guys. Installed everything last night and seems to work just fine. I didn't have enough time actually play with much but looking forward to learning the new interface.
Thanks again for your time.
© PG Music Forums