PG Music Home
Posted By: ShaunHH Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 08:04 AM
Hi all,
This is definitely a beginner's question :-)

When I save a song, can it save the Mute State on the mixer?
For example, I want to drop out the Bass and Guitar when playing a song - but when reloading the (saved) file it doesn't retain these settings.

I notice it does save & retain the volume levels for the Bass,Guitar,Piano etc (although not Midi thru interestingly) so I can set them to 0, but is there a better way?
It's much more convenient to be able to mute/unmute rather than using the sliders

Many thanks for any pointers

ShaunH
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 08:36 AM
To achieve this you should use Bar Settings.

At the bar you want the mute to start, right click and chose Bar Settings from the drop down, alternatively, highlight the bar and press f5 on your keyboard.
Both will bring up the Bar Settings menu.

On this menu,the drop down to the left of the instrument name gives various options, one of which is Mute.

To start the instrument playing again, bring up Bar Settings at the relevant bar and chose Back to Normal.

It would be worthwhile to get familiar with the various Bar Settings options as they can be very useful.

Hope this helps
Vintage
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 08:55 AM
Hi Shaun,

Welcome to the forums.

As mentioned above, bar settings is a good approach. The 'mute' within those settings behaves differently than the 'mute' on the mixer.

Also.... While the mute status on the mixer does not save, the volume settings do. So if you don't want the Bass and Guitar, you could also set their volumes to zero and save.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 10:12 AM
Shaun, welcome to the forum. As mentioned, use one of the workarounds (I set volume to zero). Saving the mute status has been requested in the Wishlist Forum here, but not for awhile. I think it’s always useful to see what a new user finds odd, and I agree this is.
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 11:34 AM
Worth mentioning again that using the Mute function from the Song Settings does retain that Mute setting when the file is saved.

To mute a track from playing during an entire song, open Song Settings (F5) and select the track or tracks you want to be muted during the song and at the First Bar (Bar 1) select Mute for those tracks.

Save the file and the tracks selected to be muted will be retained with the save and those tracks will be muted for the entire song.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 01:02 PM
Very good point, Charlie. The Wishlist would be for the mixer mute status to save.

EDIT: I just created a Wishlist post on this. Feel free to give it some support if you agree.
Posted By: VintageGibson Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 01:43 PM
Sorry to be pedantic, but F5 opens Bar Settings.
Song Settings is a different menu located to the left of the mixer box.

Vintage
Posted By: ShaunHH Re: Mixer Settings - per song - 02/11/18 03:53 PM
Hi again,

Sorry reply to only my own post - but there were so many quick and helpful answers - I didn't know which to respond to ... :-)

Many thanks for the F5 tip - there are plenty of options for me there!

And also thanks for the warm welcome - strangely enough, I am a long time BIAB owner - but I'm definitely a beginner!

I'll be making some time to do a lot of browsing through the forums.

Thanks,

Shaun
© PG Music Forums