PG Music Home
Hi all,

What interests me a lot right now in Biab is above all the great possibility of transposition and style change, but not the automatically generated riffs and bass lines, I would like to create mine.

I do not know if it's possible or not, but if it's the case I'd like to know if it's as practical as in an arpeggiator or a hardware arranger, and if it's not the case, can at least create elsewhere and introduce it as a phrase or riff or change an existing riff in the piano roll ...
Originally Posted By: massichat
Hi all,

What interests me a lot right now in Biab is above all the great possibility of transposition and style change, but not the automatically generated riffs and bass lines, I would like to create mine.

I do not know if it's possible or not, but if it's the case I'd like to know if it's as practical as in an arpeggiator or a hardware arranger, and if it's not the case, can at least create elsewhere and introduce it as a phrase or riff or change an existing riff in the piano roll ...

Absolutely....but.... the question is how you intend to do it.

As you have discovered, BB/RB is very useful but when you start getting into specific riffs, it kinda sometimes doesn't quite do the job. Altering what it gives you is possible but.... I'm thinking.... I've never done it personally, there would be an immense amount of work to change it in midi to get the groove and feel and riff exactly right.

How I would do it...and do. Use a DAW. Let BB and RB create the tracks you want and need, but then play the tracks you want a specific riff on. I use a midi keyboard to play bass lines where I want a specific groove or riff that BB/RB just doesn't seem to be able to do to my liking. This can be done with any instrument as long as you can play it or program it into midi and use a sample for the sound.

Use BB to lay down the tracks, import them to a DAW, and remove the BB/RB tracks you don't want/like/need and record your own. A DAW makes this job a breeze.

For example, I had a client approach me a few years back to do a cover of the song Southern Nights by Glen Campbell. He wanted the tracks with no vocal so he could drop in his vocal in his studio. He also wanted it to fit the feel of a totally different artist who had also cover the song.....There is a signature lick/riff in that song that the song can't live without. I had to play the parts that carried that riff live, and through midi, to get it sounding right. The project turned out very well using BB/RB to play the tracks that didn't play the riff, in the artist's preferred style. The customer was extremely pleased with the results. Another happy client.

It all depends on how much work you're willing to put in to get the sound right.
Guitarhacker: Thank you for sharing your successful experience!

You have the chance to play an instrument and know the theory, this is unfortunately not my case, I can create melodies instantly and indefinitely, create and superimpose a melody on another as counterpoint, same for chords, I can align notes in harmony with the melody and create chords without knowing their name, my problem is the progression by following a progession already existing, I do not know how to transpose my phrase if there is already a chord progression, there I can not follow another progression already existing. If I try to follow, I unconsciously compose another melody instead of transposing these 4 or 5 notes, and what was supposed to be a background accompaniment turns into lead melody in competition with the top line melody.

What I hope to find in Biab is the ability to transpose my Phrase or Riff, created virtually in the piano roll of my DAW, I want to be able to create a phrase or a bass line in C and introduce it as Reference phrase, Biab will take over after each change of chord to modify and transpose this sentence as would an arpeggiator or a hardware arranger.
© PG Music Forums