PG Music Home
Posted By: Honkytonkn56 almost stops working - 05/06/18 10:26 AM
Have 1200 songs in my folder on my laptop and PC. Every now and then a song will be playing along and it starts kinda studdering and almost completely stops then starts up again and plays along without missing a beat. It does this on both laptop and PC. A friend has the same program and his has starting doing it also. Anyone have this problem and know a fix for it. Version 12.5. thanks in advance for any help with this.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: almost stops working - 05/06/18 10:48 AM
Welcome to the forum. Unless your computer has an SSD drive, I suggest you run Defrag on it.

I’m wondering if there is a problem based on the number of songs. Create a new folder with just some of them, and test. If you have discovered some hard limit, then we can report it to PG Music. However, many of us have that many songs and more, and I haven’t heard this problem.

Version 12.5 was a LONG time ago.
Posted By: Honkytonkn56 Re: almost stops working - 05/06/18 10:58 AM
One thing it don't always do it. Sometimes everything is just fine. Usually does it when I'm out playing and not at home practicing. But I will try that. The songs are arranged by artist in separate folders already is this what you mean? have 143 different folders some with only a few songs in them others with lots of songs?
Posted By: Noel96 Re: almost stops working - 05/06/18 11:05 AM
This could also be due to antivirus software. It could certainly explain why it kicks in during playback.

I always exclude the \bb folder from being checked. Try doing this and see if it helps.

Also, in "Preferences | Realtracks" try turning off the 'Speed up generation of Realtracks'... that might help, too.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: MarioD Re: almost stops working - 05/06/18 11:59 AM
Originally Posted By: Noel96
This could also be due to antivirus software. It could certainly explain why it kicks in during playback.

I always exclude the \bb folder from being checked. Try doing this and see if it helps.

Also, in "Preferences | Realtracks" try turning off the 'Speed up generation of Realtracks'... that might help, too.

Regards,
Noel

To add to Noel's excellent advice it could be anything running in the background; things like anti-spyware, updates (Windows, motherboard etc), anything that will disrupt the music via disrupting the clock. Be sure to turn everything off and disable your wi-fi via the Device Manger prior to every gig.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: almost stops working - 05/06/18 03:21 PM
Originally Posted By: Honkytonkn56
have 143 different folders some with only a few songs in them others with lots of songs?
OK. I had a different impression. I like the suggestions by Noel and Mario.

If the problem occurs on regular timing, say, every 40 seconds, the free DPC Latency Checker utility can help find it.
Posted By: Teunis Re: almost stops working - 05/07/18 02:31 AM
If it is fine at home but worse when out I would look at turning the wireless off when out. There is usually a switch on the laptop to turn it off. When you are home the wireless quickly finds a connection and settles down. When you are out it is very busy trying to find a network to connect to. This can create issues. Same with Bluetooth unless you are using it turn it off.

Avoid running anything you are not actually using. Check start up programs and only load up the necessary programs. Having things such as iTunes or Adobe going out looking for updates can create issues. Similarly having antivirus updating. Or programmes setup to work in the background when nothing is happening. A lot of PCs when they are just playing music think nothing is happening so they’ll fire up a backup or system scan.

Just a thought

Tony
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: almost stops working - 05/07/18 11:20 AM
You told us the problem but didn't give enough info.

What program are you using to do the playback?

What driver is being used by that program?

Are the files waves, MP3s, or are they being played in a multitrack format?

If multitrack.... what player?

Do the multitrack files contain audio and midi or just one of those exclusively?

That's a good start to helping you figure it out. Often, there can be stuttering and playback issues like you described in the multitrack world due to driver issues. Normally, a computer is able to handle single mp3 and waves just fine.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: almost stops working - 05/08/18 10:49 PM
Hi Honkytonkn,

This sounds like it could just be an audio driver issue. If you can go to Opt - Preferences - Audio, and let us know what your Audio Driver Type is, and then hit Audio Drivers and see what's selected, as well as what else is available, we can get started figuring this out.

Also, are you referring to Band-in-a-Box 2012.5, or RealBand?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Honkytonkn56 Re: almost stops working - 05/11/18 10:40 AM
2012.5 Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth and nothing else available. All songs are saved as a band n box file format .mgu. I turned off speed up realtracks. still happens. made exception in virus software for BNB. none of my files have any audio or video in them. I use the bnb program to play back my files and I flat pick the melody and play along with it. audio output driver is Microsoft sound mapper. even turned of vst/dxi synth. did all of that and still happens once in while during playback. ???
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: almost stops working - 05/11/18 03:55 PM
Hi Honkytonkn,

That's your MIDI Output Driver, I'm asking about audio drivers. smile

If you click on Opt, then Preferences, then Audio, or Opt, MIDI/Audio Driver Setup, then Audio Settings, you'll find the Audio Driver Type setting we're looking for, then click Audio Drivers and let us know what's selected and what's available.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
© PG Music Forums