PG Music Home
Posted By: goofeyfoot Rendering Problems - 08/11/18 12:39 PM
Hello All:

Whenever I try to render anything, whether it is .wav or .mp3 or anything the program hangs for a long time. I mean like 15 minutes. And if I poke at anything in the program, I get a "program not responding" error and have to shut down.

Weird thing is that the file actually does seem to render but I get a crash every time.

Thanks.

Michael
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Rendering Problems - 08/11/18 01:15 PM
First, could you tell us more info please. What version of BIAB? Mac or Windows?
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Rendering Problems - 08/11/18 03:36 PM
It is windows and it is version 2018 band in a box
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rendering Problems - 08/11/18 06:34 PM
Firstly, go to the link below and set up the AUDIO and MIDI drivers as shown.

This might solve the problem.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=461558#Post461558

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 12:13 AM
Noel:

Thanks for your response.

I set everything up as stated in the link you provided.

I did a "render" of the song. I tried to render as an MP3.

I got mixed messages in the little yellow window. One message said the rendering worked. The other one said it failed, mentioning something about a "codec" or something.

So then I looked at the files and yes, it actually did render all the separate tracks like I wanted. But it did not render MP3s but instead rendered .wav's.

So then I played the wavs as a test, and they played fine even though I got that error mentioned above. And this time the program did not crash at any point.

Any thoughts about why I didn't get mp3s? Do I need that codec thing, whatever that is?

Thanks again. I think progress is being made.

Michael
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 01:08 AM
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the added information about rendering to mp3. That's a different problem.

With mp3s...

If you want to use BIAB to create mp3s, it's necessary to install codecs that will translate a WAV file into an mp3 format.

This is because neither BIAB nor Windows come with the necessary drivers to do the conversion. (Up until just recently, the mp3 format was protected by patents.)

When I need an mp3, what I do is to use a freeware program called FreAc. It's a very comprehensive program and gives a great deal of control over the resulting mp3. I simply load the wav into and then convert.

https://www.freac.org/

Alternatively, if you download and install K-Lite (freeware), that will install the necessary mp3 codec (just be careful of installing any unwanted software that might be attached to the download).

Lastly, unless the mp3 format is an absolute must, try rending to wma as an alternative. Since this is the Windows format, drivers are present on all Windows systems and there won't be any problem rendering to this format. The wma format is comparable to mp3. It's the same size and I personally think it sounds slightly better.

Hope this helps,
Noel
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 01:45 AM
Thanks again for your help.

I installed that K-Lite thing (Standard Version). BIAB still doesn't render to .mp3 but it does still render anyway, choosing apparently .wav each time.

I would use the .wma if I could but I use this stuff on Apple products so I can't really use the .wma format.

Maybe you are supposed to somehow direct BIAB to the codec or something so it knows it is there?

Thanks again.

Michael
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 02:33 AM
Michael,

Did you reboot your computer after installing K-Lite? I cannot remember if things are written to the registry or not. If they are written to the registry then I think it's necessary to reboot so that the registry is re-read.

Also...

I just had a look at the below K_Lite pack comparison...

https://codecguide.com/klcp_ability_comparison.htm

... and it seems that mp3 encoding codec is only contained in the Mega Pack (scroll to the very end of the comparison). This could be the issue. (By comparison, mp3 playback codecs are contained in all packages.)

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: goofeyfoot Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 07:08 AM
Noel:

Did as you suggested. Loaded the Mega Pak also. Also rebooted.

More or less the same thing. I get an error that says "you might not have 'ACM' codecs installed."

And as before, I get the files OK, they are .wav though and not mp3.

Thanks.

Michael
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 08:49 AM
Michael,

The above process usually solves the problem of converting to mp3. Have you tried downloading an external converter? There are plenty of free ones around.

As one last test, close BIAB, rightclick on the startup shortcut and select Run As Administrator. PG Music recommend running BIAB as Admin. Now try loading the song and rendering to mp3. Does this help?

Also, Kent from PG Music might see this thread and offer some suggestions. He's got a great repertoire of problem-solving skills.

Lastly, if Kent doesn't visit in a day or two, try contacting support@pgmusic.com with a quick email. In the email, briefly explain the problem and include this URL so that they can read what you've done and tried.

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: rharv Re: Rendering Problems - 08/12/18 09:12 AM
Or for quicker PGMusic support maybe try the Live Help chat button at the very top right corner of this page.

Another convertor option I like is Lame Front End. It can be found at the link below, just make sure you click on the Installer button as some of the ads can be deceiving (like saying 'download now'). It's a free site, they gotta make money somehow and those ads support the cost of the site I guess.

http://www.pazera-software.com/products/lame-front-end/

The Expert Mode and the Advanced Settings tab gives an insane amount of encoding options.
Posted By: 8T8KEEZ Re: Rendering Problems - 10/26/18 07:24 PM
WHAT a joke! Seriously! Is the OP the ONLY person having this issue? I'm having the same issue and BB states that this is a NEW feature in 2018. I purchased the AUDIOPHILE USB drive - and I'm just surprised these kinds of issues STILL exist after all these years. I ALSO find it interesting that the developers of this software can have the software recognize "dropbox".
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Rendering Problems - 10/26/18 09:21 PM
Hi 8T8KEEZ,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble, this issue definitely isn't typical.

If you give our tech support number a call on Monday, I'm sure we can get it sorted. The number is 1-866-983-2474, please ask for me. I'll be available 11-5 PST.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Rendering Problems - 10/27/18 09:37 AM
Thanks folks, I have the same problem. Solved it by dropping the files down into audacity and getting the mp3 export that way.

Will try again with BIAB.

...Deb
Posted By: DebMurphy Re: Rendering Problems - 10/27/18 04:10 PM
I downloaded and installed "Lame Front End." On a reboot, it worked perfectly.

Thanks RHarv!

Fixed!!!!

...Deb
Posted By: rharv Re: Rendering Problems - 10/28/18 10:21 AM
Yes, usually when you add a codec the OS needs to reboot to be able to use it.
Forgot to mention that important step.
© PG Music Forums