PG Music Home
Posted By: BlueAttitude Convert 6/8 (or 3/4) to 12/8 - 09/18/18 08:01 AM
Not sure if there is a way to do this or not.

I have a midi piano file sent from my songwriting partner in 6/8 time, 86 BPM.

In order to build a BIAB track (bass and drums) to match the midi piano part I need to use a 3/4 style at 86 BPM.

This works perfectly fine, but the problem is there is a very limited number of realtracks that are available in 3/4 time, just a couple of bass realtracks and a couple of realdrum tracks (slow country waltz is about it)

So! My thought was if I reduce the chord durations (convert 2 bars of 'A' to one bar of 'A', etc.) and reduce the tempo I could use a 12/8 style where I have lots of realtracks to choose from.

Problem is the tempo. The tempo I need for everything to line up is 57.33 (86 * 2/3). But BIAB only allows whole numbers for BPM. If I build a track using 57 BPM, it works fine for the first bar or so and then gradually gets more and more out of sync.

Any thoughts on how I can accomplish this or is it not doable??
Posted By: floyd jane Re: Convert 6/8 (or 3/4) to 12/8 - 09/18/18 10:23 AM
I believe that you can set decimal point BPMs in RealBand.

Have you used RB in the past?

Another idea is to include Acidized information when you export the BIAB tracks and let your DAW of choice change the tempo...
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Convert 6/8 (or 3/4) to 12/8 - 09/18/18 11:00 AM
floyd, you are a genius!

No, I don't use realband.

The acid idea worked but I had to do it in a couple of stages because the actual reaper project tempo has to be 86 (for the 6/8 midi file).

So I rendered my 12/8 BIAB file at 57 BPM with ACID enabled, then loaded it into Reaper with it's bpm set also at 57.

Then changed the tempo in reaper to be 57.333 and rendered that out (now the file has no acid info). Then when I add that 12/8 BIAB file at 57.333 BPM into my project which is set for 86 BPM it lines up perfectly with the 6/8 piano part.

Kind of convoluted, but at least now I can use a much better bass part for the song than that acoustic country waltz bass part :P

Thanks!

EDIT: Actually an easier way that doesn't involve rendering the BIAB file at 57.333 is to go the other way. Leave the BIAB file at 57 BPM but change the project file to be 85.5. (57 * 3/2). Just tried it, works great.
Posted By: rharv Re: Convert 6/8 (or 3/4) to 12/8 - 09/18/18 07:41 PM
It's all maths ..
I made an online calculator for this kind of music studio math years ago .. converting time sig/tempos, BPM to MS, including ticks/resolution settings, various options .. can always add more. I'm always open to suggestions.

PM for link if interested.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Convert 6/8 (or 3/4) to 12/8 - 09/18/18 10:47 PM
Hi rharv,

Thanks, but I understand the math.

I was just having a senior moment figuring out how to make it happen between BIAB and my DAW.

Floyd pointed me in the right direction and I have it sorted now.
© PG Music Forums