PG Music Home
Posted By: erloeser Chord input by hand - 10/03/18 04:07 PM
Hi everyone,

does anybody know, how I can write a Fmaj7No3rd, so that BIAB will accept it?

Regards

Ronald
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord input by hand - 10/03/18 04:23 PM
Going up, that's F, C and E.

No, I do not know how to enter that in BIAB. Window, MIDI Chord Detection does not accept that as a supported chord type.

Now, if you could allow one other note...

Workarounds:

If this is MIDI, you can easily enter FMaj7 and delete the A.

If this is audio, you can (not easily) use Melodyne Editor on a generated audio file to delete the A.

Posted By: jford Re: Chord input by hand - 10/03/18 06:32 PM
BIAB has never really properly supported no3 chords. There is the F5 power chord (however, last I looked, it wasn't consistent in not playing the "3", at least for MIDI styles - but I could have missed the fix for that along the way).

Matt's is probably the best suggestion.
Posted By: erloeser Re: Chord input by hand - 10/04/18 02:40 AM
Hi,

thank you very much.

I wonder why a Fmaj9(NO 3) was identified in the midi-window... but I couldn't change it by overwriting the "9" with a "7"

Regards

Ronald
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord input by hand - 10/04/18 02:55 AM
Wait - what MIDI Window?

Are you saying BIAB MIDI Chord Detection suggested that chord? Or some other program?

And now it’s a major 9 not 7?
Posted By: erloeser Re: Chord input by hand - 10/09/18 02:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
Wait - what MIDI Window?

Are you saying BIAB MIDI Chord Detection suggested that chord? Or some other program?

And now it’s a major 9 not 7?

Hi,

I used the midi chord detection in BIAB. When I played a Fmaj7no3rd its was'nt detected.

I played a Fmaj9no3rd and it was detected and i could use it in the chordsheet with ENTER.

I thougt "ok, no I know how the spelling in BIAB for a "no3rd-chord" is like"- it's written "FMaj9(no 3)" -

I tried to edit this chord by pressing STRG+F2 and change the "9" against a "7".

But this wasn't possible.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord input by hand - 10/09/18 03:29 PM
Ah, I see the problem now.

What interests me is that the Window, MIDI Chord Detection correctly reads a Maj9(no third). This chord is not one that shows up in the Chord Builder as a supported chord type.

So for that discovery, I thank you.

And you're right, it does not read Maj7(no third) and you cannot edit the chord to make it so.

This leads to the question, what other chords does BIAB support that are not in the list?

As for it working with a Maj9 and not a Maj7, there is precedent for that. I'm not excusing the omission, just recognizing it. For example, Maj9(#11) is supported, as is Maj13(#11) but Maj7(#11) is not. Maj7(#11) is a common chord in jazz fakebooks and I've requested support for it in the past.

Another consideration is, what you hear played by RealTracks, regardless of what chord you write. I noticed that the Maj9(no3) didn't seem to play the third, which I find remarkable. It can't be that lots of chords with no 3 were recorded when it's not even a supported chord type. So, how is this playing with no thirds?

Sorry, but I'm left puzzled and will discuss this with the developers.

Posted By: Pipeline Re: Chord input by hand - 11/01/18 03:06 AM
RealTrack don't always get it right :
RealChart Midi Edit Changes RealTrack Audio
© PG Music Forums