PG Music Home
Posted By: Gary524 Changing midi instruments - 10/09/18 02:48 PM
I imported an .xml file into BIAB. The file contains both chords and melody. I want to change the midi playback track (that contains the melody) to another midi instrument, but no matter what I select, the instrument remains the same. The name of the newly selected instrument appears in the track window, but the playback doesn't change.

I have other BIAB songs that allow me to easily change the midi instrument to whatever I want. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Changing midi instruments - 10/09/18 03:03 PM
When you File, Open Special and load a Music XML file, there is a checkbox to load all tracks into the BIAB Melody track. What did you do there?

If you did load all into one track, try the green SEQ icon to see if you can separate out the tracks, then change the instruments.

Note: I didn't try this - going by memory since I'm not at a BIAB computer.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Changing midi instruments - 10/09/18 05:50 PM
Hi Gary,

Check the melody track with a track editor to see if any program changes are inserted into the track. If there is one at the start of the track no matter what you change the sound source to the track will always revert back to the Program change. If you find one just delete it.

If this MIDI file was downloaded then you may have to check all of the tracks for the melody program change. They can hide those program changes.
Posted By: Gary524 Re: Changing midi instruments - 10/11/18 02:09 AM
Thank you so much! That checkbox on the import screen is what I was missing!
© PG Music Forums