PG Music Home
Posted By: Narayano Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 07:42 AM
I'm making a backing track for Recuerdos de la Alhambra which starts in key of C then the second part (at bar 41) changes to key of A. I have used F5 and changed the key to A but when I put in some of the chords such as F#m this just shows as Fm. Some help please.

Thank you

Narayano
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 09:27 AM
Narayano,

When you talk about "put in some of the chords such as F#m", are you referring to entering chords on the chord sheet or as notation using Notation Editor?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 11:28 AM
When I do key changes I simply enter the new chords without doing anything else. It has worked well for me and it's very simple.
Posted By: jford Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 11:49 AM
I always just enter the new chords and then change the key signature at that point, so the notation looks correct. In BIAB, changing key signature does not change the chord grid. You have to manually enter the chords for the new key. Key signature changes are only going to affect how notation is displayed (so you don't get a ton of accidentals).

That being said, there was also a recent thread regarding issues if you are entering chords numerically (for example, Nashville notation) in that the key of the song wasn't being honored and you ended up with major versus minor chords in places (and it has been reported). I can't really speak to that, as I just enter chords by chord name.

And remember, key and key signature are not the same thing.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 04:08 PM
Entering them on the chord sheet. Even when I have used F5 to change the kay to A, I can't seem to enter F#m. I know to enter sharps on the notation sheet I hold down the shift key and the note but that doesn't work with the chords.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 04:09 PM
My sheet music shows some of the chords in the second part as being sharps and I can't seem to enter that.
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 04:15 PM
I just can't manage to enter chords that are sharp. My music theory is very sparse so I don't know if it is usual for that to be the case.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 05:28 PM
So... if the song is in the key of C major..... and your chords are C.... F....G with Am....

determine if you are going half a step or a whole step or something else.

You said key of C that changes to the key of A.

C F G are the 1 4 5 of that key.... Am is the 6minor

In A you have A D E with F#m being the 6 minor in that key.

Just enter the following F#m and it should do what it needs to do.

remember that BB will let you enter chords for a song in a variety of different ways.

BTW: It really helps you if you do get a basic understanding of music theory. At least to the point that you know what the 1 4 5 chords are in a given key.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 05:42 PM
Narayano,

From reading your posts, it seems to me that you cannot enter F#m because you do not know how to enter the sharp on the chord sheet.

If that is correct, then read on...

If you use a US layout keyboard, the hash sign (#) is used for the sharp sign and it's found as SHIFT+3. BIAB actually makes this a little easier and it's not necessary to press SHIFT (although that still works).

So, to enter F#m using a keyboard in US layout one types F3m <ENTER> on the chord sheet.

If your keyboard is not a US layout one, then the above may or may not work because the # symbol might not be assigned to the numeral '3' key and this can create issues.

So, if your keyboard is not US layout, let us know what layout you use and I'll try and see if I can find out what will work.

In the meantime, it's always possible to enter chords by right-clicking on the chord sheet and selecting "CHORD BUILDER" from the menu that pops up.

I always use Chord Builder from time to time because I cannot remember all the chord types that BIAB supports.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 08:28 PM
What Noel said:

I always use Chord Builder from time to time because I cannot remember all the chord types that BIAB supports.

Me too.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/24/18 11:11 PM
F3m should work on a non-US keyboard, even if shift+3 isn't a # on that keyboard.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/25/18 12:19 PM
Hi Noel, Thank you, thank you, thank you. That's exactly it smile I was trying to enter a sharp in the same way as for notation and that obviously doesn't work. I'd never heard of the chord builder but I shall give it a look. Okay, back to Recuerdos de la Alhambra - this time with a smile on my face smile
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/25/18 12:20 PM
And so it does. Thanks for that Kent.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Changing keys halfway through - 10/25/18 04:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Kent - PG Music
F3m should work on a non-US keyboard, even if shift+3 isn't a # on that keyboard.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music

yes and it works on my system too when I forget and am in a hurry and miss the shift key
© PG Music Forums