PG Music Home
Hello! Sorry if this is a stupid question. I know that drums, bass, piano etc can be programmed to keep playing through a stab (shot), held note or rest, but is there a way to instruct the soloist to keep going?

Many thanks!
Mike,

Given a recent post from Kent, there is no way to exclude the Soloist track nor the Melody track from the shots/hold.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=496644&#Post496644

If you want a soloist Realtrack to keep playing, it's necessary to swap it's location with a track that you want to have play the shot/hold. (It doesn't matter which track RTs are on as they generate and play the same wherever they are.)

For example, if you want a piano to play a hold, put it on the Soloist track and then put the solo on the track that the piano was on.

Alternatively, generate the song first without shots/holds and then freeze the Soloist track. Now add the shots/holds and regenerate. The frozen Soloist track will not be affected by the regeneration and will ignore the shots/holds.

Regards,
Noel
Hi again Noel

Thanks for the suggestions - sounds like there're a few workarounds then that should do nicely.

Cheers

Mike
Here's what I do when I want a soloist, melody player or any other track to to continue playing through a hold/stop/etc., such as "G7...d". As I entered the measure as just described, only the drums track will play in that measure (if G7...d utilizes all four beats of the measure). If you had entered "G7...", then all tracks would be silent at that measure. Substitute the "G7" chord I use in this example, with the appropriate chord for your song.

1. Freeze all tracks of the entire song - every track.
2. Go to the measure(s) that includes the hold/stop, such as "G7...d" or "G7..." and reenter the chord as a simple "G7" (Or whatever chord you used in that measure/measures - I used "G7" only as an example.)
3. Unfreeze and regenerate the instrument track you want to continue playing through the hold/stop.
4. Once you are happy with the regenerated track, freeze it. After doing that, all tracks should then be frozen.
5. Go back to the measure(s) with the hold and reenter the chord input as "G7...d" or G7...", as it was originally entered. (To maintain the original input for any future reference).
6. Save the entire song again.

You can also employ this same process for a half measure.

You can repeat this process any time you want to with any track. I've used this a number of times and have been very pleased with the results.

Below is a link to a song in which I used the method. You can hear the examples at 0:49-0:51, 1:51-1:53 and 2:51-2:53. Originally I'd entered "G...d" for the measures, meaning everything except the drums would be silent. I went back and changed the chord input for those measures to a simp "G"; froze all tracks except the Celtic Air Strings and then regenerated the strings so they would continue to play along with the drums while everything else was silent in those measures.

I could have done the same for any other track but for this song I just wanted the Celtic Air Strings to keep playing with the drums. Could have been the lead guitar, acoustic piano, etc. had I chosen.

I froze all the tracks and saved the song as you hear it. I did go back and reenter the "G...d" on the affected measures and re-saved the song. I did that only to keep the original input for any future reference I might have for the song. It's not a necessary step but one I always do for the possible future reference I mentioned.

Hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Alan

Here's the track: https://soundcloud.com/alananddi/downward-spiral
© PG Music Forums