PG Music Home
Posted By: Wammer Save destination - 11/11/18 05:01 AM
Im a newbie, and I don't understand where to save to when I try to save a song. The default location is Desktop, which surely can't be right. I don't know where to find the folder where saved songs are filed. Hope that makes sense.
Thanks,
Geoff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 07:08 AM
Geoff,
Good question.
Without having previously set a specific location, BiaB may default to a location such as the Desktop.

An idea is to create a folder where you want to save songs and save at least the first one to there.

E.g. Create a folder in C:\MyBiaBSongs\

In BiaB save a song to that location (by using the navigation tools that are available when you save)

Subsequent 'saves' should automatically look for that folder and save them there without further effort from you.
Posted By: Wammer Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 07:32 AM
Thank you for that. Just one question though, what is the C
In C:/MyBiaBSongs? It’s probably obvious, but I’m not sure what it refers to.
Thanks,
Geoff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 08:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Wammer
Thank you for that. Just one question though, what is the C
In C:/MyBiaBSongs? It’s probably obvious, but I’m not sure what it refers to.
Thanks,
Geoff

Hi Geoff
In my example, 'MyBiaBSongs' is a folder that you create yourself to store your songs in (instead of the desktop). It allows you to keep all of your songs in one easy to find place.

Open up Windows Explorer (how? see first image)
In the left hand column, Navigate to your C:\ drive
(1) Right-click on C: Drive itself
(2) then select New
(3) then select Folder (see image)

(4) name the folder MyBiaBSongs (or whatever name you want), and press the Enter key.

Attached picture 2018-11-11_22-13-52.jpg
Attached picture 2018-11-11_22-06-26.jpg
Attached picture 2018-11-11_22-11-12.jpg
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 10:43 AM
Geoff, as Videotrack is explaining, you can put your songs almost anywhere you want. I say ‘almost’ because you wouldn’t want to use the ProgramFiles folder(s), but anywhere else should be fine. Make it an easy place to find so you back up the files regularly.

C in the example is your C drive, which is the Windows standard for your boot drive. Other drives, such as the external USB drive from PG Music (if you got BIAB that way) have other letters.
Posted By: Wammer Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 11:10 AM
Of course ... I’m a Mac user, and there is no C drive.
I knew it had to be easy.
Many thanks,
Geoff
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Wammer
Of course ... I’m a Mac user, and there is no C drive.
I knew it had to be easy.
Many thanks,
Geoff

Geoff, that little bit of information could have saved me a huge amount of work cry cry cry
I'm sure the friendly Mac people will be able to help you. smile
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Save destination - 11/11/18 04:37 PM
One thing that will help us is if you create a signature and add that you are a Mac user. Notice mine, below. Go to My Stuff in Blue above, then Edit Profile.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Save destination - 11/12/18 10:01 AM
In the Band-in-a-Box folder on the Mac there should be a sub-folder called "Songs". That would be a fine place to save your songs.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Save destination - 11/12/18 08:21 PM
Another little hint....

I always create a new folder when I decide to start working on a song. All the BB & RB and DAW files go into it. So everything for that song is in one place.

Be sure to back it up to multiple devices or places on different machines or the cloud.

Once a year, I also create a new folder called 2018 (for this year) and drop all of my ideas that are not finished into it. Every so often I look through it and see if anything "clicks". I've ended up finished more than a few songs that way.

I also keep the finished songs in their folders in the yearly folder. That way, it's really quick and easy to find things.
Posted By: 90 dB Re: Save destination - 11/12/18 09:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Another little hint....

I always create a new folder when I decide to start working on a song. All the BB & RB and DAW files go into it. So everything for that song is in one place.

Be sure to back it up to multiple devices or places on different machines or the cloud.

Once a year, I also create a new folder called 2018 (for this year) and drop all of my ideas that are not finished into it. Every so often I look through it and see if anything "clicks". I've ended up finished more than a few songs that way.

I also keep the finished songs in their folders in the yearly folder. That way, it's really quick and easy to find things.

+1!

Regards,

Bob
© PG Music Forums