PG Music Home
Posted By: Narayano Changing key midway - 11/24/18 08:26 AM
I'm learning to play Recuerdos de la Alhambra and it is in the key of C for the first 40 bars then at bar 41 it changes to A Major. Can I ask how to do that please?

Thank you

Narayano
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Changing key midway - 11/24/18 10:27 AM
In the chord chart, at bar 41 begin inputting the chords in the key of A Major. For instance, if the first 4 bars of the song are C|D|E|F and at bar 41, the progression is the same except the Key has modulated to A Major, enter the equivalent chord progression, A|B|C|D

If your question is regarding music theory to transition and modulate rather than the mechanics of inputting the chords into the BIAB chord chart, others with the technical knowledge regarding music theory will jump in....

I listened to the song on YouTube. It's a beautiful piece. I'm sure you'll enjoy learning and performing it in the future.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Changing key midway - 11/24/18 03:27 PM
Under the F5 option you can tell BIAB to change key at any bar. I just tried this and was a bit surprised not to see the chords automatically change at that point, but I suspect telling BIAB that the key has changed at that bar, combined with the manual adjustment of the chords to the new key, will permit the engine to recognize the new tonal center.
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Changing key midway - 11/26/18 05:39 PM
Exactly, the key signature change option in Bar Settings only affects the key signature itself, so which accidentals you see in the Notation Window, and doesn't transpose the music.

You'd want to also enter the chords in A after bar 40, or enter them in C and use Edit - Transpose - Transpose From.. To.. (assuming you're using BIAB for Windows).

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing key midway - 12/01/18 08:30 AM
Sorry if I'm a bit slow with this guys but my music theory is pretty well nil. To change the key to A at bar 41 I press F5 and change the key to A. Does this mean that all the chords after 41 will be in A rather than C that was 1 - 40? The only change I see on the screen is that bar 41 is underlined in red.

I am using windows 10.

Many thanks,

Narayano
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing key midway - 12/01/18 08:34 AM
Thanks Charlie. It is a lovely piece of music - I'm learning the arrangement for the flugel from this clip of the movie Brassed Off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo8hIc7DpuE&t=147s
Posted By: Narayano Re: Changing key midway - 12/01/18 08:38 AM
Thank you Dan. I've changed the key to A using the F5 option and then putting in the chords from the sheet music. Not really sure if changing the key at bar 41 will mean all the bars after that will be in A or if I need to keep using the f5 option for each bar.

Thank you for your help.

Narayano
Posted By: jford Re: Changing key midway - 12/01/18 10:40 AM
Changing the "key" at a certain bar only changes the "key signature" and therefore only affects notation views. It does not transpose chords at that point. I think there is a separate command to do that, but I'm just on my Smartphone right now and can't look it up.
© PG Music Forums