PG Music Home
Posted By: michaelg Stormy Monday - 11/24/18 09:03 AM
Hey Guys,
I'm trying to figure out how to do something I may not be able to do. If you are familiar with Stormy Monday, especially the Allman Brothers version, in Bar 9 there is a walk up after the D9 (or D7) chord before going into the F9 chord in bar 10. I'm not a trained musician, but I suspect it's triplets that goes D9, D#9, E9 landing on F9 on the downbeat of bar 10. Is it possible for me to make this work in BIAB?

Thanks in advance. I'm using various 12/8 slow blues styles in BIAB, with tempo around 65-70. On this YouTube video it's around :50 into the song. https://youtu.be/Bqa1s4jhkQ8

Happy Holidays

Michael
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Stormy Monday - 11/24/18 10:15 AM
Are you transposing the song? The original is in G I think.

I play it like:
|G7 |C9 |G7 Ab7|G7 |C9 |C9 |G7 Am|Bm Bbm |Am |C9 |G7 C9|G7 D9|

Which is pretty similar to the ABB version I think. You can easily do that in BIAB. Try those chords (or transpose if you wanted a different key)
Posted By: DrDan Re: Stormy Monday - 11/24/18 12:44 PM
BIAB has a nice "style" for this tune some real tracks and a nice walking bass. Here is my old version. You may need to adjust the chords for the ABB changes.

Attached picture Capture.PNG
Posted By: chulaivet1966 Re: Stormy Monday - 11/24/18 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueAttitude
I play it like:
|G7 |C9 |G7 Ab7|G7 |C9 |C9 |G7 Am|Bm Bbm |Am |C9 |G7 C9|G7 D9|

OP....see above....

I have about 18 songs I play as my practice playlist.
I've been playing the ABB version (I like the Lee Micheals version too) for decades.
I play it similar to Blueattitude except I play a Cm rather than a C9 and a D7 rather than the D9. (see bold above)

Not saying either is better or more accurate....just wanted to throw out how I've always played it.
That ABB version is soooo slow in tempo I can almost doze off.
So...I play it with just a bit higher tempo.

Hope that helps....

Posted By: michaelg Re: Stormy Monday - 11/25/18 09:34 AM
That's pretty similar to what I do except there is a walk in bar 9. Some folks Do it |Am Abm,Am|(Bar 10) Cm7

I did try pushing the Abm and Am in beats 3 and 4 by an 1/8th note, and close, but no prize. It may be a triplet feel, which is why I'm not getting it to work.

Also, the last chord (also the pickup chord in the beginning) is a DAugmented, I believe.
Posted By: michaelg Re: Stormy Monday - 11/25/18 09:41 AM
I do it in G. On Bar 9, there are various ways folks do it, one is |Am7 Abm7,Am7| and then bar 10 is Cm7 rather than C9. Also I believe the last chord (also the pick up chord at the beginning) is DAug.

There is still this walk up feel on bar 9 on beats 3 and 4 (it actually start on the offbeat of 3) and that's the feel I'm trying to get. I did try pushing 3 and 4, but what I really need to do is "pull" on beat 3 (delay it to at least the 1/8th note after beat 3). I'm thinking this feel could be triplet, and that's why I'm not able to get it.
Posted By: michaelg Re: Stormy Monday - 11/25/18 09:59 AM
I've used that style, and have saved it in a number of 12/8 slow blues styles, all of which have interesting flavors. It's the walk up in bar 9 starting off the beat after beat 3 that I haven't been able to reproduce. The closest I've gotten is to push beat 4 by and 1/8th. So bar 9 and 10 look like this |Am7 Abm7,^Am7|Cm7| Still not right though. I'm thinking this is really a triplet feel and that's why I'm not getting it, and I don't know how to add a triplet feel to two chords (granted, it is in 12/8 so it does have a triplet feel of sorts. If you listen to the ABB around :50 you'll hear what I'm talking about. https://youtu.be/Bqa1s4jhkQ8 On bar 12, I use D+ instead of D7 or D9, which is also the pickup chord for the song.
Posted By: michaelg Re: Stormy Monday - 11/25/18 01:34 PM
I did plug in your chords as they looked interesting, especially the intro and the walk up (and walk down in your case) on bar 9 and 10. Interesting. I don't think 9 and 10 are the ABB version, but I'm always interested in chord substitions.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Stormy Monday - 12/05/18 05:27 PM
Nobody's talking about the double time solo section? That makes the tune imho. And yes, that C is a minor 7.

Bob
© PG Music Forums