PG Music Home
Posted By: Anthony Miller 1st, 2nd and 3rd time through. - 12/27/18 09:11 AM
Hello - almost 12 years since I last used BIAB so forgive my beginner question but my memory ain’t what it was! I’m arranging the trad jazz favourite Bourbon Street Parade to play trumpet to. I have three repeats of the main chorus. Part 1 is the main tune, part 2 I’m soloing over and part 3 will be a repeat of the main tune. The style I’m using is DIXILAND. The 1st time through the drums are playing closed hi-hat and on the 2nd time through the drums play on the ride cymbal which lifts the tune nicely. The 3rd part is where I’m having trouble. I want the drums to carry on playing ride cymbal through to the end but they keep returning to closed hi-hat as they are on the 1st time through. I can’t work out how to do this so any help would be appreciated. Apologies for long winded explanation and I’m sure there is a simple solution! Thanks. Tony.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: 1st, 2nd and 3rd time through. - 12/27/18 09:20 AM
Originally Posted By: Brasso
Hello - almost 12 years since I last used BIAB so forgive my beginner question but my memory ain’t what it was! I’m arranging the trad jazz favourite Bourbon Street Parade to play trumpet to. I have three repeats of the main chorus. Part 1 is the main tune, part 2 I’m soloing over and part 3 will be a repeat of the main tune. The style I’m using is DIXILAND. The 1st time through the drums are playing closed hi-hat and on the 2nd time through the drums play on the ride cymbal which lifts the tune nicely. The 3rd part is where I’m having trouble. I want the drums to carry on playing ride cymbal through to the end but they keep returning to closed hi-hat as they are on the 1st time through. I can’t work out how to do this so any help would be appreciated. Apologies for long winded explanation and I’m sure there is a simple solution! Thanks. Tony.

Left click (or right, don't recall which offhand) on the bottom lift corner of the chord cell and pick "substyle B" in the popup menu
Posted By: Anthony Miller Re: 1st, 2nd and 3rd time through. - 12/27/18 10:37 AM
Thank you! I have tried that but it then plays the whole song with ride cymbal. I can see if I had the arrangent written out long hand how that would work but I’m using a repeated 32 bar chorus and want the 2nd and 3rd repeats to have ride cymbal. Perhaps I’m selecting the wrong place to place ‘sub style B’.
Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: 1st, 2nd and 3rd time through. - 12/27/18 10:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Brasso
Thank you! I have tried that but it then plays the whole song with ride cymbal. I can see if I had the arrangent written out long hand how that would work but I’m using a repeated 32 bar chorus and want the 2nd and 3rd repeats to have ride cymbal. Perhaps I’m selecting the wrong place to place ‘sub style B’.

I think I understand what you mean, but I'm not entirely sure.

Is your song unfolded (i.e. showing all repeats/bars in one sheet)? That might make what you're trying to achieve a lot easier.
Posted By: MarioD Re: 1st, 2nd and 3rd time through. - 12/27/18 11:57 AM
Welcome Brasso,

What you described is the normal way BiaB works with repeated choruses. As mentioned unfolding the song is the way to go. Unfold the song, assign part A to the first chorus and part B to the second chorus. This way a part will play until it is told to change, which is what happens when you insert a part B. This way part B will play until the end of the song. Unfold is located under Edit/ Song Form/ Unfold.

I always start my songs with just one chorus, which is called the unfolded method.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Posted By: Anthony Miller Re: 1st, 2nd and 3rd time through. - 12/27/18 02:02 PM
Ok thanks, I understand. I can then use the ‘fold’ option to make one repeated chorus and produce a printed lead sheet. Great. Thanks for the help. I’m sure I’ll have a few more questions on the way though. Tony
© PG Music Forums