PG Music Home
Posted By: ChicagoBob Style Questions - 01/07/19 03:45 PM
I noticed in the song forums that Many of you post the names of the Realtracks instruments that you are using but not everyone identifies the styles. Isn't the style on the the first step to developing a song and important information to know? I also noticed that some have used a style called blank or something similar. Is it possible to have a song with no style?

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

Bob
Posted By: jford Re: Style Questions - 01/07/19 05:54 PM
You can use a Blank style, and then just add the specific RealTracks you want to use to each track. All a RealStyle is, is a collection of RealTracks that have been identified to work well together and are bundled in a Style file. But you can easily override any one of them. Some people start with a RealStyle, and then substitute out the instruments from the style (maybe keeping some of them, or not). In the end, you may have a screen that shows a specific style being used; however, every instrument in the style may have been replaced by a different RealTrack. I view the style as a starting point and using the Blank style lets you just create your own "band" sound from all available RealTracks, as opposed to starting with a pre-configured "band".

And that being said, even if you use MIDI styles, you can also replace individual parts using the tracks found in other MIDI styles, or even override a MIDI track with a RealTrack. Your screen may show the initial style you selected, but you could potentially replace every instrument with tracks from different MIDI style files.

To me, that's what's so great about BIAB; you can select something close to what you want to get you started and deviate from there. Or you can start with a blank slate and roll your own. And in the latter case, if you like the result, you can save that collection of RealTracks as a User Style to bring up again later.

Hope that made sense.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Style Questions - 01/07/19 08:49 PM
There are four BLANK styles. Two for 3/4 time and two for 4/4 time with each pair having one even tempo and one swing tempo. None of the four have midi or RealTrack instruments assigned. As jford stated that makes them an ideal starting point for creating your own style that includes RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks or loops.

If you want to create a style that utilizes one or more MIDI instruments you likely are better off starting with a MIDI style and modifying it to meet your needs. That's because MIDI styles include midi patterns that is used to create the midi data generated for each midi instrument.

Another use for blank styles is to modify an existing style used in a song when the style includes an instrument you do not want to use. Just import a blank instrument to replace an existing instrument.

Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Style Questions - 01/07/19 09:55 PM
Regarding Styles and individual instruments in constructing a song in BIAB, a very powerful and useful tool is included in the BIAB Stylepicker. When you open the Stylepicker page, notice there are two separate choices to audition Styles (and also the RealTracks, Midi and SuperMidi tracks).

The lower, larger play button with the play triangle, auditions the Styles with a premade Demo SGU file. Sometimes there are two demo files to audition.

The upper Play button plays the Style over the current Chord Chart populating the BIAB project.

Auditioning a Style using each of these options yields dramatically different sounding demos. A Style playing the demo may not suit what you need for your project while hearing the Style using the Chords, tempo and key of your project may be completely satisfactory. The song groove can be totally different between the two.

I use the Demo play to determine how well the instruments work together and the Play over current Chords to see how each particular Style works with my current project.

Also, using these two options together, dozens of Styles and hundreds of instrument tracks can be auditioned in a just a few minutes playing just as they will sound in your project. Many artists rough out their song in BIAB selecting a Style and possibly exchanging or adding instruments and then move their project to RealBand to add additional tracks to the foundation they created in BIAB. Auditioning Realtracks, Midi and SuperMidi tracks from the BIAB Stylepicker is many times faster than auditioning and finding appropriate tracks for your song than can be accomplished in RealBand. The RealBand Stylepicker does not have the Play over current chord chart button.

I have found it surprising when working on covers how effective using the Stylepicker filters in conjunction with the two play buttons are in getting the best and closest RealTrack to properly sound the right voicing of the cover song. This includes rhythms and soloists.
Posted By: ChicagoBob Re: Style Questions - 01/08/19 12:39 AM
thanks everyone---- i love that I can learn something new everyday
© PG Music Forums