PG Music Home
Posted By: BluesMatt MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 01:39 PM
Hello everyone. Matt here and I am a newbie.

I have an old version, Pro 2007 for Windows. I installed it with no issues on my Windows 10 laptop. After installation, I could play a song and hear both audio and MIDI tracks. Now, I only hear the MIDI track (melody), I do not hear the audio tracks (drums, bass). I tried troubleshooting but got nowhere.

Then I tried installing the program on my 2nd laptop and the same thing happened,I can only hear the MIDI melody but now drums or bass.

I can only imagine that others have had the same problem so I'm hoping someone here can provide a fix. Thanks
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 01:50 PM
I would suggest looking at your audio settings (go to Control Panel and select Sound). Set your sound card to 16-bit, 44.1Khz rate (both playback and recording) and see if that helps. You may also look at updating your sound card driver. What are your BIAB sound settings (maybe post a screen shot)? Are you set for MME or ASIO? Give us some more information and maybe we can help (although version 2007 is now quite old and predates Windows 10 as an operating system (and actually even predates Windows 7 by two years, so it did not even have a 64-bit OS in mind when it came out).
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 02:06 PM
Thanks for your quick reply.

I know I am running MME. I think my sound card is setup in Control Panel for 24 bit but I will double check when I get home from work.

I can tell you that the program suggested 120ms for the latency setting which I agreed to. It also suggested rendering in stereo rather than mono which I also agreed to.

The weird thing is that it worked right after the installation was completed. After the first song played, I started exploring the program, being careful not to change anything (look but don't touch), and then the same song did not play correctly. Makes me wonder what changed, why, and how.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 03:35 PM
Hi Matt,

Welcome to the forum.

Just to clarify...

You mention BIAB playing both MIDI and Audio. I'm not quite sure what you mean by this because version 2007 of BIAB was entirely MIDI-based. That is, all tracks, Bass, Drums, Piano, Guitar, Strings, Melody and Soloist were all MIDI and each one was transmitted on its own MIDI channel. Unlike today's BIAB, none of the tracks were audio-based.

When you get a chance, can you open "Options | Preferences | MIDI Driver" and then take a screen shot and post it in this thread so that we can see what your settings are. This will help us all get a better insight.

The link below explains how to post an image.

https://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=472139#Post472139

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 03:36 PM
Welcome, Matt, from another Matt.

If memory serves, BIAB 2007 only had RealDrums as audio. This was a year before RealTracks were introduced. If you don't know what I mean by that, all sounds in BIAB were MIDI until 2007 when audio drums were introduced. The next year, some of the other instruments became available as audio. [Now, one of the greatest features of BIAB 2019 is that over 2000 tracks are audio.]

Yes, you will need to ensure you are running at 16-bit, not 24.

Could you tell us more about what Options, Preferences, MIDI Drivers. Output says?

EDIT my post and Noel's are asking the same thing at the same time.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 03:50 PM
Thanks for the reply Noel. And thanks for the clarification that all tracks in 2007 were MIDI.
I guess I have a MIDI issue then. I can tell you that I could hear only the melody (and see the keys on the virtual keyboard being played) while other keys for other instruments were being played but I heard no sound from them. It also looked like there was more data activity watching the MIDI monitor than the sound I heard.
I will post screenshots later today.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 04:02 PM
Thanks Matt, I'll post more info when I get home from work.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 04:25 PM
No, it is not true that all tracks in BIAB 2007 were MIDI. There were some early RealDrums.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 04:40 PM
Yes, I stand corrected, thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 04:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt Finley
If memory serves, BIAB 2007 only had RealDrums as audio. This was a year before RealTracks were introduced.

Matt,

You are correct. I was in error. A limited selection of Realdrums were available in 2007. So it is possible for drums to be audio in this version.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 04:45 PM
BluesMatt,

As I mentioned in my earlier post, please post an image showing your setup in "Options | Preferences | MIDI Driver". This will help greatly with trying to solve your problem.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 06:30 PM
Here are some screen shots as requested.

Thanks for all of the help....matt

Attached picture 2019-01-09 24bit not 16bit.JPG
Attached picture 2019-01-09 Audio Settings.JPG
Attached picture 2019-01-09 MIDI Driver setup.JPG
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 06:47 PM
Everyone,

I tried switching to 16bit (see screenshot), restarted my laptop, no change. I can only hear the notes played as shown by the red squares on the piano keyboard (see screenshot).

Let me know if you need anything else.

PS I am considering doing a complete uninstall and then a re-install but not sure if that will really solve the problem.

Matt

Attached picture 2019-01-09 hear only red keys.JPG
Attached picture 2019-01-09 16bit not 24bit.JPG
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 06:56 PM
OK, that's good, thanks for the pictures.

You were correct to change the Windows audio default setting to 16-bit, 44.1K Hz. Do you hear the three tones on each channel when you click on the Test button?

I'm not too familiar with sound cards in laptops anymore, so can you tell us what brand this is? I would have expected a RealTek device here.

Regardless of anything else that happens in this thread, I strongly encourage you to purchase an external USB audio interface. Even an inexpensive Focusrite Scarlett 212 or 214 would be far better than the internal sound device you have, and give you more flexibility.
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 07:16 PM
Matt (Finley) - it shows as a Connexant SmartAudio HD onboard audio device (from one of the earlier screen shots.

Matt (Blues) - Also, be sure to check your volume settings. And definitely let us know if you hear the tones when click on the "Test" button. As displayed, using MME and the GS Wavetable at 16 bit, 44.1Khz it should work.
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 07:19 PM
If I have time, I'll install BIAB 2007 on my Win10 computer and see what happens (using the same demo file). It's a desktop, but it has a RealTek onboard sound card, so while not the same, it will be similar. I'll let you know what I find later this evening.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 07:38 PM
See the screenshots that show the volume level at full (100%). And yes, when I press the audio test button, I do hear 3 charming tones. I am still only hearing the keys with the red squares (starts at bar 13a).

Could this be a bug in 2007?

Thanks....Matt

Attached picture 2019-01-09 100 audio level.JPG
Attached picture 2019-01-09 audio test button.JPG
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 07:42 PM
OK John, that sounds great.

I'm really starting to run out of ideas. The answer is probably something silly that this newbie is doing wrong but I can't imagine what that might be at the moment. Especially since it worked once and then stopped working (forever).
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 07:59 PM
MattB,

Thanks for the graphics. They help.

Under Options, there's a choice called, "Return to factory settings". This would be worth trying.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 09:39 PM
Is there a way to check the volume of the other instruments (the ones I can't hear)? Is there a Mixer window? I couldn't find one.

Is it possible I'm sending MIDI data to the wrong channels or muted channels?

How do I determine which MIDI channels I'm sending to? Are those channels disabled (somehow)?

All newbie questions I know.

Are there any tutorial videos I definitely should watch (YouTube)?
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 09:40 PM
I will try that tommorrow, thanks.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 10:00 PM
MattB,

Here are a couple of Youtube links that will be helpful for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjEgXmM5hd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awCZg281RX8

While present versions of BIAB have a mixer-based display for track volume adjustment, in 2007, the program did not. To adjust individual track volume (or pan or reverb)...

1. select the track that the instrument is on (i.e. the horizontal menu that says: Bass, Piano, Drums, Strings, Guitar, Melody, Soloist)

2. immediately below the instrumental track names given above, is a horizontal row of effects (Volume, Pan, Reverb, etc) -- change these values to change these effects for the selected track

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Noel

P.S. You might find it interesting to compare how far BIAB has come since 2007. The below link is to tutorials prepared by PG Music that explain the more recent versions of the Windows version of the program.

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm
Posted By: MarioD Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 10:12 PM
Hi BluesMatt,

I do not remember having any problems with BiaB 2007.

Here are a couple of things to try:
1-in the piano roll view (PRV) click on track that is not sounding. You do this by clicking on the B, G, D, P, etc little squares. B = bass track, G = Guitar, etc. Look at the velocity. If they are all at zero raise them to a 64 or higher.
2- if the velocity lines are not at zero then add a volume. That would be CC7 at around 100.

There is a mixer but I forget exactly where it is in 2007.

Here are some pictures that may help. Note that my screen will be different from yours as I am using BiaB 2019. If this is above your current knowledge level then send me a Private Message (PM) and I will give you my email address so that you can send me the file and I will look at it.

Description: PVR
Attached picture PRV.jpg

Description: PVR data 1
Attached File
PVR data 1.jpg  (2 downloads)

Description: PVR data 2
Attached File
PVR data 2.jpg  (2 downloads)

Description: PVR data 3
Attached File
PVR data 3.jpg  (2 downloads)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/09/19 11:02 PM
BIAB certainly had a mixer where you should check volumes of the tracks you don’t hear. I’m afraid I don’t remember that old version well but the mixer can be found in the menu system.

You should not have to fool with any MIDI channel assignments unless you are trying to play a song you downloaded from the Internet. If that is the case, write back for instructions.
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 12:15 AM
Don't know what to say. I just installed BIAB 2007 plus the 5 RealDrums sets that initially came with it (5 more came with 2007.5). Everything played perfectly on my Windows 10 , RealTek onboard audio system.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 08:49 AM
Good morning Noel.

So I clicked the "return to factory settings" in the Opt menu, I choose all. When the program asked me if I wanted Stereo, this time I said NO.

I clicked play and I heard ALL of the instruments. So choosing stereo was the issue. Not sure why. I tried the same steps on my 2nd laptop and I can now hear all of the instruments there as well.

Because I am now able to hear all of the tracks, I will be upgrading to 2019.

Thanks again for all of the help....matt
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 10:35 AM
Wow. Ok.

So I guess we can conclude this step is necessary for those laptops with Connexant SmartAudio HD (which I had never heard of before).
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 11:11 AM
Maybe. I will check laptop #2 to see what it has when I get home from work.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 04:12 PM
We're you running in stereo or mono John.
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 05:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I was running stereo, but I'll take another look this evening (I haven't blown it away yet).
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/10/19 09:58 PM
So laptop #2 (Dell with Realtec audio) works set for 24 bit audio and in mono (it doesn't work in stereo). (see the screenshot)

So my conclusion is that using built-in audio chipsets (like on a laptop) can get tricky. I'm still not sure why using stereo is a constraint but I'm ok saving that problem for another day.

For right now, I will be upgrading to 2019 (most likely over the weekend). I'm guessing I should also buy the largest Megapak I can afford, correct?

With the upgrade, I am anxious to play with the Realtracks and Real drums. It remains to be seen if I will have laptop issues.

Thanks again for all of the help.....matt

Attached picture 2019-01-10 Dell laptop 24 bit audio.JPG
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/11/19 05:10 PM
Your screen shot shows 48000 hertz. I would change that to 44100. That's what BIAB uses.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/11/19 05:15 PM
John, I recall he tried that; there's another screen pic on page one of the thread where he tried 44.1, 16-bit. I don't know why he went back...
Posted By: jford Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/11/19 06:27 PM
And by the way, my system was set for stereo. I could play both MIDI and RealDrums (since BIAB 2007 only had RealDrums, not RealTracks).

Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/11/19 10:17 PM
This is a different laptop Matt F.
Posted By: BluesMatt Re: MIDI yes, audio no - 01/11/19 10:19 PM
Thanks John.
© PG Music Forums