PG Music Home
Posted By: webpro Entering chords using a midi controller - 01/12/19 01:53 PM
Ok here is what i would like to do.

Play the piano following a metronome and BB records it.
For instance chords.

Then generate music/style from this, once i'm done.

In other words, not selecting/typing chords but do midi controller chords entering.

Is this possible?
Right now i can hear the piano i play and it does record but it's like adding the piano part to a song (song loaded by itself, must be the demo song?) Like if i would do a solo or something.
I need to start from scratch.

Just got 2019 update.

Let me know
Thanks
It would be nice, but as I understand it, standard MIDI does not produce Chords.
You could record a melody, but you would need to manually add the chords. Others may know more.
I've also been looking for this since I bought the software, but I don't think it can be done in BiaB. It would be great if the software could recognize chords that you play on your midi-controller.

Fortunately there are other applications that can do that, but you will still have to type in the chords in Biab, so it is a bit cumbersome.

Will
Having a program automatically identify chords would always be problematic.

Some chords would be correct, but there would always be outliers when the interpretation was incorrect.

An Eb6 chord could be also correctly interpreted as a Cm7.

C6 could just as easily be interpreted as Am.

Every major chord has a relative minor, and all have many possible inversions.
Biab has the midi chord wizard which extracts the chords from a midi file. Record yourself as midi, not audio, save as a midi file, save the song. Then open a new song, go to Import midi file and check the box, Extract Chords. Read the Help file about that.

As a pianist myself it is correct, the complexity of the chords can really screw up the chord detection. Play as simply as you can and put the correct bass note on the bottom. You can't play a solo piano version of Blue Rondo and expect Biab to figure it out. And other software can't either. If you keep it relatively simple, it can give you the song layout and the chords. Then you can fine tune it.

Bob
Also, if you are willing to take the time to do it chord by chord, BIAB has a very useful tool called MIDI Chord Detection in the Window menu. Following the comments above about chord complexity, this utility gives you alternatives and allows you to choose the name of the possible chord. All you have to do is turn it on and play your block chord, and get suggestions.

In my opinion, as a NON-pianist, this is one of the best features of BIAB.
Bob's recommendation is spot-on. Play the tune with as simple as possible structures with straightforward chord patterns. This will give you your best opportunity for a good result.
© PG Music Forums