PG Music Home
Posted By: dmrodes Chord substitution - 01/19/19 07:31 PM
On a G7#9 - the guitar plays the chord properly - but if I put a 'hold' on the bar - the guitar plays a straight G7 - why is it doing that, and can it be fixed?

Thanks...
BIAB 2017/471
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Chord substitution - 01/19/19 09:49 PM
More Control over Shots n Holds
Posted By: DrDan Re: Chord substitution - 01/19/19 09:57 PM
Just guess-in here, likely your are talking about RealTracks. These are recordings so we only have what was recorded. In the early days there were no hold and shots recorded for individual chords, just rhythms and soloists. Then they started to records specific accents for some of the RTs. Even to this day not all RTs have accent recordings. And those taht do may not have all the chords recorded with all accents... Do you really need that #9 on that specific chord played as a hold? If so you may have to substitute a midi track where you can control each chord voicing and duration.

Or maybe someone else with offer a better suggestion.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord substitution - 01/19/19 10:39 PM
I recall some discussion about this along the lines of what Dan said. There are holds for major and minor chords and I think a few more, but not all chord extensions. To hear the #9, add a MIDI note.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Chord substitution - 01/19/19 11:03 PM
BB can use over 100 chord types but the holds have something along these lines: C Cm C7 CMaj7 Cm7 Cm7b5 Csus4 C7sus Caug Cm7#5
so if if you had a sample set for each instrument you could have anything you need.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord substitution - 01/20/19 12:25 AM
Thanks Pipeline; I couldn’t remember that list.
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Chord substitution - 01/20/19 10:16 AM
A pianist doesn't always play all the notes in a specific chord anyway. He or she may pick the notes from the chord to play according to his or her own artistic tastes.

Sometimes one of the extensions of a chord is played only by the melody instrument.

Since I mostly use MIDI styles, I can always add notes that BiaB leaves out if I think they are important enough to warrant the effort.

BiaB has its limitations. As time goes by, and new updates are released, the old limitations grow smaller. But when new features are added, they sometimes introduce new limitations that in time and future releases will also grow smaller.

Insights and incites by Notes
© PG Music Forums