PG Music Home
Posted By: oxlacey export midi, only get drum track - 02/02/19 08:21 AM
How do I create a midi file with all 5 tracks? When I use the export midi function, the created midi file only has a drum track. I have selected type MID 1. I'm using ELECROK.STY. Its patches are GREEN.

I have been able to do this in the past. Could it be the style I picked for the song won't allow it? That song had patches in YELLOW.

Hmmm, when I listen to just the drum track on the original BiaB song, it doesn't match the exported midi file.

Posted By: DeaconBlues09 Re: export midi, only get drum track - 02/02/19 10:30 AM
Originally Posted By: oxlacey
How do I create a midi file with all 5 tracks? When I use the export midi function, the created midi file only has a drum track. I have selected type MID 1. I'm using ELECROK.STY. Its patches are GREEN.

I have been able to do this in the past. Could it be the style I picked for the song won't allow it? That song had patches in YELLOW.

Hmmm, when I listen to just the drum track on the original BiaB song, it doesn't match the exported midi file.

Can't check that particular style because not at my PC right now, but check this video at approximately 6:45 and maybe that can give you some answers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUKGWZhJ2vo
Posted By: rharv Re: export midi, only get drum track - 02/02/19 10:31 AM
Maybe try File - Save Special - Save song as MIDI file.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: export midi, only get drum track - 02/02/19 10:46 AM
Patches in green mean that these tracks are Realtracks and, as such, are audio files and don't save as MIDI. (If the Realtracks have notation with them, that can be saved as MIDI -- I'll put that to one side at the moment, though, because it just complicates the issue.)

The yellow tracks that you remember indicate that those tracks were MIDI tracks. This is BIAB's colour coding system.

When I checked the style ELECTOK, the only one that I see is _ELECROK (it begins with an underscore in stylepicker). This underscore indicates that it is a Realstyle and that the instruments used on the tracks are Realtracks (i.e. audio files and not MIDI).

If you want MIDI styles, it's necessary to look for styles that have no _ or = or M_ as the first characters in their names as these leading characters indicate that Realtracks are present in some way in that style.

Now... if the Realtrack that is on a particular track has notation associated with it (this is seen by a green line underneath the track name on the horizontal track listing -- under File, Edit, Options, Play, etc.), that notation can be saved in a MIDI file. To do this, you'll need to activate the setting shown on the image below.

Lastly, if you do load a MIDI-only style, it is possible that BIAB will automatically substitute Realtracks to replace the MIDI tracks. This is default behaviour. To disable this, right-click somewhere on the chordsheet and choose "Song Settings".

Once in "Song Settings" disable "Allow style aliases (autosubstitution of style)"

Attached picture saving realtrack charts in midi file.JPG
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: export midi, only get drum track - 02/02/19 03:21 PM
The StylePicker also allows you to filter searches to limit results to just midi styles. To do this, select the search filter Type and from the drop down menu, select midi only.
© PG Music Forums