PG Music Home
Posted By: Tigz Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 05/25/19 05:17 PM
Very new to BiaB 2018 Mac.

I have an Arturia Keylab Essential USB keyboard connected to BiaB.

I can play and hear individual notes. Is there a way to play the chords from the Arturia in to the chord page. Apologies if this is something simple to you all, but BiaB has an awful lot to learn so I may have just missed it.

Thanks, Tigz.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 05/25/19 05:27 PM
Welcome aboard.

I don't believe this is directly possible. The MIDI specification doesn't include Chords as a data type. Also, the interpretation by another program could often lead to confusing results, e.g. playing a C6 could easily be interpreted as an Am, so some work may be required to ensure accuracy.

The program is extremely powerful, so don't let that one item put you off, of course smile
Edit: clarified based on others input - my bad.

Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 05/25/19 05:52 PM
You can play the chord one at a time and enter it from the Window menu, MIDI Chord Detection.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 05/25/19 05:55 PM
Wouldn't a workaround be to record a piano chord track in Garage Band, save it as a MIDI file, load that file into BiaB and have BiaB determine the chords? There might be some chord corrections to be made in BiaB, like a C6/A would come up as Am7, but those would be simple changes as you know the initial chords.

{edit} I see that Matt and I were typing responses at the same time!

Posted By: Tigz Re: Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 05/25/19 06:03 PM
Thanks for the fast replies. It would be nice to input from the keyboard but I have GarageBand and Logic Pro X so thats a work around. I just found all the BiaB videos on Youtube and have learnt a lot already.

Thanks Tigz
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 05/26/19 11:47 AM
You can record your midi directly into BIAB. Use the solid red record midi button in the transport menu. There's no need to migrate between GarageBand or Logic.

This video shows you exactly how to enter chords using your midi controller or synthesizer.

Midi Chord Detection with Band In A Box
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Chord input from USB/midi keyboard - 12/26/19 03:04 AM
Here's one to try How to Enter Chords into the Chord Sheet with a Keyboard While Playing.
For Live playing you can try Biab Live Chord Input Playing it still needs a few things doing to it but it should basically work.
© PG Music Forums