PG Music Home
Posted By: dchadd Multiple bars of rest? - 07/11/19 06:19 PM
I've been a BIAB user for many years, but have only scratched the surface. I am now facing an issue I can't find an answer to.

When printing a lead sheet, if a track has multiple bars of rest, I would like to show those bars combined, with a number of bars above it - the standard notation for sheet music.

I haven't found a way to do this in BIAB or RealBand, but I'm guessing somebody can give me a quick idea of how to accomplish this in either program. Can you help? Thanks!

Dale
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Multiple bars of rest? - 07/11/19 07:15 PM
Hi Dale,

BIAB's notation does not do that.

If you want to contract bars of rests into one bar, as occurs on professional scores, it's necessary to use more sophisticated music notation software.

MuseScore (link) is freeware. This program also reads BIAB files and XML files. So, if you open a BIAB directly in it, it will probably work (it's experimental, though). Alternatively, export your BIAB song as XML and then open the XML file in MuseScore.

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: dchadd Re: Multiple bars of rest? - 07/11/19 10:50 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid of that. I was pretty surely that was the case, but I appreciate the confirmation. I will check out MuseScore.
Posted By: Dave Re: Multiple bars of rest? - 07/12/19 08:41 AM
In the Fake sheet options you can specify the number of bars per line. By manipulating the bars per line you might be able to get the all on one line, which might help. Fake sheet doesn't affect the underlying song, so those 'empty bars must exist in the song.

I use this frequently to improve readability. If I have a section with lots of notes or lots of lyrics, I might just have 2 bars on a staff, but a long phrase with no lyrics might be as high as eight bears per line.
© PG Music Forums