PG Music Home
Posted By: spiro13 Chord Entries - 07/30/19 01:28 PM
Hi

I have 2 questions on Chord Entries:

1) I know how to enter 4 chords in a measure. Is there a way to enter a chord 1/8 beat before a measure?

2) I know how to enter a chord such as CM7b9. Is there a way to enter this chord - Bb7(b13,#9) or C6add9?

Thanks,

Tony
Posted By: jford Re: Chord Entries - 07/30/19 01:41 PM
Try C69 for your C6add9. Not sure about the other one; you might want to look at chord builder to see if it's there.

While you can only have four chords in a measure, you can push a chord an 8th (or 16th) note to the left. Put a caret ^ in front of the chord name for 8th and two carets ^^ for 16th. That being said, if you do that, you then cannot have a new chord on the beat following the pushed chord.

So, if I put a caret on the chord on beat one, it will play on the "and" of beat four in the previous measure. But then I can't have a new chord on beat one of the measure. All I can do then is either push the chord on beat 2 to the "and" of beat 1, or just have it play on beat 2.

Those are the rules.
Posted By: spiro13 Re: Chord Entries - 07/30/19 04:44 PM
John

Thanks so much for the info. Those explanations are exactly what I need. I tried the caret and it works just fine for a jazz backing.

Tony
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Chord Entries - 07/30/19 05:37 PM
In chord builder there is a X7#9b13 available.

Whether or not that is available in Realtracks, though, will depend on whether or not the recording artist played the chord. It would be available in the MIDI styles.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Chord Entries - 07/30/19 05:41 PM
Implied in Noel’s answer is the hidden rule that, when entering those upper extensions, you work in ascending order. That may explain why your entry didn’t work with the 13 before the 9.

And yes, C69. My favorite chord in Brazilian jazz.
© PG Music Forums