PG Music Home
Posted By: timsharp52 seperating midi channels? - 09/01/19 10:30 PM
sorry if it has been asked before, ( and I'm sure it has).
I have searched and searched and search for days and days and have such a headache searching for an answer.. I bought BiaB 2016 3 years ago and have been trying to use it for a solo act that I'm trying to put together using midi files. I want to separate all the midi channels to separate tracks like every other piece of midi software does and use realdrums to replace the gm drums. is this possible or have I wasted my money?. what is a good program for solo acts using midi and sound founts or files?
thanks
Tim
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/01/19 10:46 PM
Welcome to the forums.

If you have the Windows version of BiaB this might be more easily undertaken using RealBand.

A Type 0 MIDI file has all of the channels on one single track. RealBand can separate those channels onto individual tracks, then save the file as a MIDI Type 1 where each channel has its own track.

In RealBand, check the Help section under "Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks"
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/01/19 11:11 PM
Import your multi channel midi file into either the Melody or Soloist track.

Click on "Melody" or "Soloist" as appropriate in the menu bar.

Select "Track Type"

Select "Multi (16) - Channel"

Also notice both "Melody" and "Soloist" have a selection for a multi-channel sequencer window.

Description: "Melody" & "Soloist" Track Type Multi (16) - Channel
Attached picture Clipboard01.jpg
Posted By: timsharp52 Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/02/19 01:38 AM
thanks for the replies...
I have the windows version and I'm fairly familiar with midi.
I've tried loading my midi file into realband and the channels are separated but I cant figure out how to change my channel 10 gm drums to realdrums sounds. the only way I can see how to use realdrums in realband is to render them on a empty track which doesn't follow the midi info for the channel 10 drums at all.

when ever I use the import midi file in biab it changes the file to what ever style is loaded which is not good either

in biab I can not change my channel 10 gm drums to realdrums. on the right side mixer view I can select the drop down menu, select realdrums and select which ever drumset I chose but after hitting ok nothing changes. it still shows my standard midi drum kit

what am I doing wrong?
thanks for any help
Tim
Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/02/19 01:50 AM
I'm not sure where the option to copy/move channels is located in your 20116 version but in 2019, that option is found under Edit\/copy Special\copy-Move Tracks.

The command should be worded similarly in your 2016 version.

The Copy Special\Copy-Move tracks window is easy to follow.

Your MIDI file should open on the Melody Track and this window allows each MIDI channel to be moved to a BIAB Mixer channel and the MIDI data frozen.

Note that Real Drums are recorded audio and don't follow MIDI notes or data. If you want to retain the MIDI drum pattern but have a better sounding drum kit, you accomplish that by selecting a better MIDI patch.

Posted By: AudioTrack Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/02/19 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: timsharp52
in biab I can not change my channel 10 gm drums to realdrums. on the right side mixer view I can select the drop down menu, select realdrums and select which ever drumset I chose but after hitting ok nothing changes. it still shows my standard midi drum kit

what am I doing wrong?
thanks for any help
Tim

Not sure if this is related but after selecting RealDrums, you may have to Generate as well to allow the RealDrums track to be created.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/02/19 02:47 PM
timsharp52.

Welcome to Band-in-a-Box and to the forum!

As others have mentioned RealDrums is audio and doesn't follow midi data. That's why switching from midi drums to RealDrums is a multi-step process.

First you need to erase the existing midi data on the Drums track. One way to erase track data is to right click on the track name instrument patch name and a (sub menu window opens) > select "Track Actions" > and select "Erase Track".

Now you can add RealDrums or Multi-Drums. Right click on the track name instrument patch name again to open the sub menu window > select one of the three RealDrum selections or select "Multi-Drums".
Posted By: timsharp52 Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/03/19 05:22 PM
right clicking on the track name brings up a small window that allows me to change the name only.. right clicking on to the right of the name in the instrument window brings up the menu with the delete option but clicking on it does not delete the midi drums.. it seems to do nothing at all.. the midi file seems to be loaded on the melody track still although I can see the instrument names on all the tracks I can not control them in anyway on each track
Posted By: timsharp52 Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/03/19 05:34 PM
ah.. I had the styles disabled.. seems to be working fine now thanks
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/03/19 07:36 PM
Great that you got it going Tim, and thanks for reporting back that you found the issue. This can assist others in the future also.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: seperating midi channels? - 09/05/19 11:12 PM
Originally Posted By: timsharp52
right clicking on the track name brings up a small window that allows me to change the name only.. right clicking on to the right of the name in the instrument window brings up the menu with the delete option but clicking on it does not delete the midi drums.. it seems to do nothing at all.. the midi file seems to be loaded on the melody track still although I can see the instrument names on all the tracks I can not control them in anyway on each track

Thank you for catching my error. I meant to say the instrument patch name but wrote track name. I've corrected my earlier message.

I see you discovered the style was disabled. I'm glad your issue was resolved. Thanks for letting everyone know what the issue was.
© PG Music Forums