PG Music Home
Posted By: Lizzz Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 02:51 PM
Real tracks cannot be converted to MIDI, correct? Thanks, Lizzz
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 03:05 PM
Hi Lizzz,

Not within BIAB. There is a program called Melodyne, though, that can convert audio to MIDI.

What can be done, though....

If a Realtrack has notation associated with it, that notation is MIDI and this can be used to drive MIDI synthesiser. It's something that I sometimes do with piano, organ and bass R/tracks.

In Help, select the "Index" tab and search for DROP STATION. This will take you to a topic that will provide useful background. After reading through this, if you'd like some help on how to do it, come back and I'll give a detailed explanation.

Also, if you go to the URL below, there are a few Drag 'n' Drop video clips under the INTERMEDIATE section. These will also help.

https://www.pgmusic.com/videos.bbwin.htm

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Lizzz Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 03:34 PM
Thanks Noel. I'm really looking for import MIDI capability for FL Studio. So presumably you would have to export the Real Track as a wave file and run it through Melodyne I presume to make it an importable MIDI track?

Thanks again for the response. Lizzz
Posted By: MarioD Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 03:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Lizzz
Thanks Noel. I'm really looking for import MIDI capability for FL Studio. So presumably you would have to export the Real Track as a wave file and run it through Melodyne I presume to make it an importable MIDI track?

Thanks again for the response. Lizzz

Yes. The Melodyne Essential will work with monophonic tracks like horns or woodwinds while the Melodyne Editor will work with polyphonic tracks like pianos, guitars, etc.

But transferring audio to MIDI is a tough thing to do. Melodyne is one of the best pieces of software to do this but you may have to do a little editing. Also it will not transfer things like vibrato and subtle pitch changes. You will have to add pitch bends and continuous controllers (CCs) yourself to achieve them.

I have done this and it is not that difficult.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: Lizzz Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 05:37 PM
Turns out there is another way to do it which might save the cost of the Melodyne program .... using the Edison plugin in FL Studio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIXXv8oUqOc&t=137s

However I am curious: the RealTracks notation you referred to ... how do I check for it and is it MIDI that I can import into FL?

Thanks again, Lizzz
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 09:58 PM
Hi again,

Yes, the MIDI obtained via notation can be used in any program. I use it in Reaper.

Realtracks that have notation attached to them will have a line under their name once loaded. (See the image below. The "Strings" track has a line under its name, thus notation is present for whatever instrument is on that track.)

Regards,
Noel

Attached picture green tracks.JPG
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/15/19 10:25 PM
Be aware that the notation for piano and keyboards should be good, but notation for other instruments may not have dynamics, expression etc.

When notation is present for some RealTracks, it is primarily intended for educational value.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Just to Confirm .... - 09/16/19 02:37 AM
Look also in the "Chart" column in the RealTrack picker,
and the "#*" column in the RealDrums picker.
© PG Music Forums