PG Music Home
Posted By: Dave Hein Practice mode - automatically change keys - 09/28/19 03:18 PM
I know there is the "woodshedding" feature that will automatically change tempo each time the song is repeated in playback.

Another useful practice feature would be to automatically transpose to another key each time the song is repeated in playback. (iReal Pro has this feature; it is quite useful) For example, I'd like to practice a song or exercise in all 12 keys, moving through the keys by 4ths.

Is that feature already there in BIAB? If so, how do I set it up?
Originally Posted By: Dave Hein
I know there is the "woodshedding" feature that will automatically change tempo each time the song is repeated in playback.

Another useful practice feature would be to automatically transpose to another key each time the song is repeated in playback. (iReal Pro has this feature; it is quite useful) For example, I'd like to practice a song or exercise in all 12 keys, moving through the keys by 4ths.

Is that feature already there in BIAB? If so, how do I set it up?

Try the vocal wizard in the Practice Central dialogue (see highlighted)

Attached picture Practice Central.PNG
I cannot find any feature "vocal wizard" or "practice central" in my copy of BIAB 2019. I use the macOS version and have the UlraPAK.

Maybe that's a Windows-only feature?
I cannot find any feature "vocal wizard" or "practice central" in my copy of BIAB 2019. I use the macOS version and have the UlraPAK.

I can't answer for the Mac, but in Windows it's available from the Window drop-down menu, as shown.
Maybe a Mac user can verify?

Attached picture 2019-10-01_10-52-21.jpg

So I just checked the online manual for MAC, and I can't find that function there.

However, I thought of an alternative method. You can unfold choruses, generate any number you like, highlight section(s) you want to transpose, and simply "transpose selected" by intervals of your choice (I'm pasting what I copied from the online manual below)

Force song to # choruses
Toggle this option on if you would like a given song to have a preferred number of choruses.

Transpose shows a submenu to transpose the current song.

Transpose From ... To ... launches the Transpose dialog for transposing a particular section of the song. The bar values can be typed in manually or you can transpose a portion of a song by highlighting the region you wish to have transposed, selecting this menu item, and typing in the new key you wish to transpose to.

Transpose DOWN 1 semitone and Transpose UP 1 semitone allow you to transpose the current song 1 semitone.

Transpose # Semitones will open a dialog where the song can be transposed up or down by a semitone, or by any number of semitones. These operations can also be performed with keystrokes.
Thanks. That would work for some situations ... like short chord progressions (I IV V; turnarounds, etc.). It gets a bit unwieldy (my opinion) for longer pieces.

What I've been doing for longer things is just creating 12 separate song files, each in a different key, batch converting them to MP3s and making a playlist of the MP3s and playing that playlist in VLC. Also unwieldy, but it's easier to change the order of keys if I want (by 4ths, by 5ths, by half steps, etc.) just by changing the M3U (the playlist).
There's a lot of these on YouTube:

I just put in "Circle of fifths backing track" in the search box and a whole bunch came up but if you want to create your own custom ones then keep trying different things. YT is pretty good for backing tracks in general. Practice tracks of all kinds, cover songs, lots of fun stuff. I've downloaded a bunch of good ones. I've taken the audio from some of those, imported it into Real Band then had a great time cutting/pasting it up with Blab style tracks.

Bob
This seems (albeit a 2-year old thread) a reasonable place to ask a related question about the practice window and its transposition feature.

I'm using the practice window to run down a juicy sax line in all 12 keys, transposing down 1/2 step each time.
There are 3 chords in the last bar of the lick. The last chord in bar 4 is being transposed prematurely.

(FWIW, this is from Bob Berg's "Silverado")
[Chords]
|:b) Db5...bd| DMaj7...d ^DMaj9...d| Db5...bd| G7 ^^Ebsus ^Db5...d /|
[ChordsEnd]

That last Db5 gets played as C5! What's happening here?

What stopped this from happening was to add Db5.d to the last beat of the last bar. Something about the held notes seems to cause the issue.

Running BIAB 2021 Win10 64-bit, latest update.

P.S. Been using BIAB for years, but only just updated to 2021 version (was using BB 2008), so at least for the version, vastly more features and a bit buggy to boot, yes, "newbie."
© PG Music Forums