PG Music Home
Hi,
I'm new to BIAB and I was looking for a specific song to practice on so I just googled and found several sources of songs posted here and there but see so many different file extensions for all these songs!

Can someone tell me if there's something I should know about these different file types? Are some 'better' than others, why so many different file extensions?
Anyway, I imagine you get my confusion so any clarification is welcome!
Thanks in advance,
chumbo
Anything other than SGU, MGU, or MGX are legacy file extensions that harken back to the early days of BIAB when there were only a handful of MIDI-only styles (most of them start with ZZ). So MG1 represents a song that used the ZZJazz style. One of the other numbers is for the ZZBossa style, etc. It's all documented in the user manual. Once PGMusic started putting out a lot more styles, they changed to MGU and SGU (U for user). The SGU is strictly an accompaniment file that does not use the Melody or Soloist track. The MGU file has data on the Melody and/or Soloist tracks.
Thanks for the explanation! smile
Wow I didn't know that. I always thought it meant Soloist stylist file. and Mgu meant melody. Good question thanks for asking.
Thank you.
If if really bothers someone, you can rename any MXX or SXX file name to MGU or SGU and it will still play just fine. From my experience in the past, renaming has no effect on the file unless one with the same name already exists.

Just remember that if you do chose to rename, do your rebuild of the song list afterwards so they show up properly.
© PG Music Forums