PG Music Home
Posted By: Bawb Original Song (Vocal Recording) - 01/15/20 01:33 PM
So, I want to start recording some vocals with my accompaniments/original songs I've written. I'm thinking about purchasing this FIFINE Studio Condenser USB Microphone Computer PC Microphone Kit.

https://www.amazon.com/FIFINE-Microphone-Adjustable-Instruments-Streaming-T669/dp/B07Y1C6GDS/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=USB+microphone&qid=1579105695&sr=8-13

Also, thinking about using this in the Real Band to record vocals. I'm trying to do this on the cheap and just have some fun. If it sounds even close to okay, putting them up on YouTube for giggles.

Any thoughts?
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Original Song (Vocal Recording) - 01/16/20 01:34 PM
Never been a fan of USB mikes, but if you can get them to work that looks like a decent package for the price. For $60 I say go for it and have some fun.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Original Song (Vocal Recording) - 01/16/20 11:59 PM
I think that's a great deal for a couple of stands, pop filter, shock mount, microphone and cable. I have a Samson USB microphone +++ HERE +++ that sounds great.

Many microphone manufacturers are creating new model lines by adding USB ports to their best selling microphones. Today's USB microphones are a lot different than the early models. The biggest change is the analog-to-digital convertor and USB function are combined into one, low power IC.

The one restriction is the digital stream will likely be 16/44.1K or 16/48K. I haven't seen any USB microphones that stream 24 bit depth in the low price microphone market. However, remember 16/44.1K is the standard for CD music anyhow so you're still getting CD quality.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Original Song (Vocal Recording) - 01/19/20 01:50 PM
Back in the early days of digital recording, in the sonar forums, we had folks come in all the time using USB condenser mics and trying to get them to work properly. There was a sticky file we would refer them too for advice. Sometimes the advice worked and other times they would come back saying it didn't solve the problem.

Part of the problem was when you use a USB mic, you essentially have 2 sound cards in your computer.... the one that makes sound and the USB mic. The trick is to get them to sync up so they stay in sync as you do the recording. If one or the other drifts, you get vox that slowly get further and further out of sync as the song goes along. It was hard to keep their clocks in sync.

Perhaps that issue has been fixed since it's now many years later. My recommendation at the time and even now is to purchase a dedicated USB interface. Even though it's USB, it is a totally different device and actually works like it's supposed to because you set it as the primary in/out sound card for the software and it should be running ASIO drivers. You can then purchase an inexpensive condenser mic to use through it and your recording experience will be flawless.
© PG Music Forums